AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great disc.

Did anybody get a blank code for the "digital copy" and the "buy 5 get one free" offer on there? I did. Just wondering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
This is kind of a weird movie. I previewed much of it yesterday to check audio settings and over all pq. I will be curious to see if my four year old will sit for it. Kind of dark with adult tones and very conversational. We will do a family viewing this weekend and see how it goes...

·
Registered
28,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/18243776

This is kind of a weird movie. I previewed much of it yesterday to check audio settings and over all pq. I will be curious to see if my four year old will sit for it. Kind of dark with adult tones and very conversational. We will do a family viewing this weekend and see how it goes...

This isn't really a children's movie. It's a movie about childhood. Kids will probably have a hard time understanding the difference. The movie was really made for adults looking back on their childhood.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/18243776

It's a PG movie. It's not for 4 year olds.

·
Registered
934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18243879

This isn't really a children's movie. It's a movie about childhood. Kids will probably have a hard time understanding the difference. The movie was really made for adults looking back on their childhood.

I think it depends on the kid. My daughter was six when we saw it in the theater, and she loved it. But she's a pretty hip kid. She told me she's really looking forward to seeing Alice In Wonderland because she really likes "the look of Tim Burton's movies."

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not sure who enjoyed it more in the theater--me or my 4 year old....

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18243879

Hi Josh. Yeah, I read your review on hidef. What the f?
Who makes a beloved kids book into a movie that is not targeted towards kids? My four year old loves UP yet I have had plenty of adults tearing up at certain parts in the movie. Works on many different levels. Oh well, if it fails we'll put Ponyo in and see if that works.

On a side note, I enjoy your reviews. I also used to like Bracke's reviews but don't see them any more. What happened to him?

·
Registered
28,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/18248637

Who makes a beloved kids book into a movie that is not targeted towards kids?

Well, it's just a different approach.

Quote:
On a side note, I enjoy your reviews. I also used to like Bracke's reviews but don't see them any more. What happened to him?

Peter is taking a sabbatical. He may pop in from time to time if a particular movie fires him up. We'll sure need him if Paramount releases any more Friday the 13th flicks on Blu-ray.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18249111

Well, it's just a different approach.

Peter is taking a sabbatical. He may pop in from time to time if a particular movie fires him up. We'll sure need him if Paramount releases any more Friday the 13th flicks on Blu-ray.

Oh that's right. That was one of the things I liked about his reviews. Came across as your typical movie snob but then also made no bones about liking these guilty pleasure, trashy movies. No offense by the way!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/18248637

Hi Josh. Yeah, I read your review on hidef. What the f?
Who makes a beloved kids book into a movie that is not targeted towards kids? My four year old loves UP yet I have had plenty of adults tearing up at certain parts in the movie. Works on many different levels. Oh well, if it fails we'll put Ponyo in and see if that works.

Because it was made for grown ups who WERE fans of the books as kids. I'm glad they did, as I read the book several time as a kid and I enjoyed the movie as well.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I almost blind bought it at Best Buy yesterday. Reviews have kept me away, so I guess I'll give it a rental. Too many fond memories of the book to not at least give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/18252908

I almost blind bought it at Best Buy yesterday. Reviews have kept me away, so I guess I'll give it a rental. Too many fond memories of the book to not at least give it a shot.

I believe you chose wisely. I went the blind buy route and am regretting it. I tried to get through this last night but it's so slow. Further, the opening scenes with the kid made me experience a couple of not so pleasant emotions. First, I felt bad that he was neglected. Second, I wanted to sit him down and issue some stern discipline during his rage moments. This one is just too much and too little, all at the same time. No thanks.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I think this was one of the most beautiful fantasies of the decade. Sure the monsters were behaving like neurotic adults; children frequently behave like neurotic adults.

I kept thinking about it for days afterwards.

·
Registered
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/18256698

I think this was one of the most beautiful fantasies of the decade. Sure the monsters were behaving like neurotic adults; children frequently behave like neurotic adults.

I kept thinking about it for days afterwards.

I agree. I am still amazed this didn't get railroaded by the studio into being some worthless junk. Its amazing what happens when the director stands up for the material. What a wonderful and profound film.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I am still amazed this didn't get railroaded by the studio into being some worthless junk.

From what I heard they tried their damndest. Jones had the unflagging support of Sendak as well as an iron resolve. If it didn't make as much money as the studio had hoped I think the studio has something just as good: a prestigious picture that will reflect well on them in the years to come.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My boys (2, 9 & 14) all love this movie. Obviously not all kids were too freaked out by it. This is just to make sure that not everyone is scared off by some of the sentiments expressed.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Having seen some of these latest comments from you guys, I'm certainly going in to it

with an open mind. It almost sounds like (judging from what some have said) this movie isn't borne of the typical Hollywood formula, which would mean it already had a good chance of me liking it.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
This is proving difficult to locate in the local B&M establishments. The DVD is everywhere, but Target was out and Beast Buy showed no indications they had even had it on sale.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts