AVS Forum banner

Where to acoustically treat my room?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  LowTech1 
#1 ·
Would room treatments in this room help? I know about the wire mess.
[URL="[/URL]
[URL="[/URL]

See less See more
#3 ·
I would put a diffuser on the dog. As he runs around the room it will bounce the sound waves in various directions creating a more diverse sound field.

jk..

Hard to tell by the pic if those are blinds or curtains. But heavy curtains would help alot if those are blinds. I would also put heavy curtains on that open window. Read about the mirror test for finding first reflection points. At these points you want to put sound absorbers. This would be the minimum plan IMO. Your backwall looks like a natural diffuser the way it is, although the brick might be giving you some issues.

#5 · (Edited)
That's Titus the boxer,he just turned 5 last friday,I should put a diffuser on his butt,he walks in front of the speakers enough.. :)
Those are blinds not drapes. If you notice the left front is open,is that a problem. Where could I put treatments on the back wall?
Also,do I need treatments behind the Logan's? How do the position of the speakers look?

#6 ·
This image will help you visualize first reflection points. But the idea is that sound leaves a speaker and bounces off each wall, ceiling and floor, before reaching your ears. So your ears are hearing the direct sound first, followed by the same sound mulitple times after echoing on the walls and reaching your ears again. The mirror test works like this, sit in your listening position and have someone put a mirror on each wall. When you find the point on that wall where you can see any of your speakers through the mirror that is a reflection point. So you put sound absorbing material in that spot to eliminate that bounce and thus eliminating the echo.

#7 ·
The backwall you can usually leave un-treated and get away with it. In fact I personally prefer as I want my surrounds with a bit of echo to give it a more diffused sound that just kinda bounces around back there. Even better for the back is what's called a difuser where you basically have a backwall that is not flat, lots of angles and different things back there so the sound hits the back and scatters. With your bookshelf and fireplace you kinda already have that going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.