AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I built my entry level HT setup last fall and am planning on starting the upgrades in a few weeks. I've decided the first place to start will be my subwoofers. Currently I'm running two small subs and while they make noise there is no "feel" to them. I figure that I'll have around 1000-1500 to blow for this upgrade. Now I like running multiple subs so I'd like to stick with that but I know I'm going to need bigger. At first I was looking to just buy two and avoid an "adventure" but the more stories I've read on here, the more I want to roll up my sleeves. Plus I have two nice holes that would fit 34"x24"x21" (exterior ms.) that I could build some custom size boxes for. Since I have framed houses and the construction company i work at has so many tools and doohickeys that i figure I have a fair shot at success.

I haven't even looked at parts yet because I wanted to do some research about how to tune, determining port sizes, power and driver needs, and what a crossover is exactly lol. Lo and behold I'm so lost. Most everything Google came up with takes at least a basic understanding of subwoofers which i apparently lack. I downloaded this WINISD PRO app and while I could change some settings on it I kept getting tons of errors. And while AVS has some fantastic looking builds ( from simple stupid to dynamically complex) I havent found a "DIY subwoofers for dummies".

So to finally get to the point: Is there any good starting point for a total amateur to get a crash course on subwoofers? Should I just take a stab at one of the established builds on the AVS List and hope for the best? And if there is anything I am missing can you point it out to me?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
$1000-1500 budget?

When this thread is done and you build those subs you'll throw out your speakers. All of them.

There is no way the Polk Monitor 70s will hang with a 1k+ DIY budget subwoofer build.

Source: Polk Monitor 70 desperately trying to sell them so that he two can hop on the DIY train.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
First, how big is the room you will using? That will determine the number of subs and/or size. usually, two separate 12" subs will suffice... If the room is pretty large, 15" would be good.

You then have to determine whether you want ported or sealed. Ported means a bigger box compared to sealed, but sealed subs roll off near the low end of the bass. If you want internal or external amps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to add the room dimensions my bad. Its 14'x28' with a cathedral ceiling 9" at peak. Based on what i was reading i was thinking ported but read tuning can be tricky. As for in/external I haven't thought ahead that far yet. Probably whichever seems to be easier lol since this will be my first ever build.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential  /t/1524179/where-to-begin-in-diy-subs#post_24525826

$1000-1500 budget?

When this thread is done and you build those subs you'll throw out your speakers. All of them.

There is no way the Polk Monitor 70s will hang with a 1k+ DIY budget subwoofer build.

Source: Polk Monitor 70 desperately trying to sell them so that he two can hop on the DIY train.

I know lol. I had a $3500 budget and started with scratch. I ignored good advise by buying a full entry level setup instead of a few good pieces at a time lol. As for the monitor 70's, I'll probably hold on to them for a bit since i want to replace the subs and the receiver first... but all in good time

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963  /t/1524179/where-to-begin-in-diy-subs#post_24525858

Forgot to add the room dimensions my bad. Its 14'x28' with a cathedral ceiling 9" at peak. Based on what i was reading i was thinking ported but read tuning can be tricky. As for in/external I haven't thought ahead that far yet. Probably whichever seems to be easier lol since this will be my first ever build.

Room that big needs two 18". With your size you could make a modified marty. Your skills it's an easy build. Need to get someone to model it to determine port size. The wood will be

Subs si18 D2 400

Inuke6000dsp 400

Cables ,paint 120

That would be a nice setup

·
Registered
11,352 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My Klipsch RW-12D goes well together with my Polk Monitor 70 Series 2. That's a $300 sub.

$1k+ DIY build (That's probably equivalent to at LEAST a $2k + Internet Direct Subwoofer?).

Right now you're in a section where your Speakers overpower your subwoofer.

After spending 1k+ on subs, you'll be ina position where your subs are VASTLY superior to your speakers.

Of course like you said, you plan on upgrading everything eventually, but just thought I should let you know that it's like purchasing Spinning Rims for your 1992 Civic with a door missing.

If you order quickly though, you can take advantage of the Parts Express coupon.

I just ordered a Dayton Ultimax 15 +Flatpack and an Inuke 6000 (the 4 channel version though).

That put me under 600. You could get TWO Ultimax 15+ flatpack and an inuke 3000 DSP (If you're going to spend, you probably should get teh DSP). That'd be under 1k a little. However, you say you can build your own enclosures.

So I'd go Two Ultimax 15s (($200 each), and an inuke 3000 DSP. That's around I think $750. Then spend that last 250 on supplies you need to build the enclosures/finish the enclosures.

Edit: Actually, that's only 750 spent. Spend that last 250 on wood to make the boxes and supplies to finish them. Then put that last $500 that you were thinking of spending towards Speakers that can keep up with your subs. So save that $500, and get yourself some Tux1099 or Tempests when you can afford to do them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast  /t/1524179/where-to-begin-in-diy-subs#post_24525892

Easiest? Two from this selection:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-system-kits/287

A step up in complexity would be a speaker/cabinet combo:
http://www.parts-express.com/brand/parts-express/0?N=4294967079+4294967118+4294963721&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bendeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2C%221%22%29%5D&PortalID=1&brandSelected=t&showMoreIds=10025

and an amp

(see selections from above).

But don't rush, they have a summer sale that ends tonight.

That link brought me to a bunch of kits which would make things easier but I'm really leaning towards building my box. I just either need a good blueprint/ set of details or else a course on building a proper box that would be tuned correctly. And Tential the builds Ive read included most of the stuff you recommended. But I wonder can i stretch a marty cube to my desired dimensions like chaludgap recommended. That was one thing I was pondering?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963  /t/1524179/where-to-begin-in-diy-subs#post_24525932

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast  /t/1524179/where-to-begin-in-diy-subs#post_24525892

Easiest? Two from this selection:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-system-kits/287

A step up in complexity would be a speaker/cabinet combo:
http://www.parts-express.com/brand/parts-express/0?N=4294967079+4294967118+4294963721&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bendeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2C%221%22%29%5D&PortalID=1&brandSelected=t&showMoreIds=10025

and an amp

(see selections from above).

But don't rush, they have a summer sale that ends tonight.

That link brought me to a bunch of kits which would make things easier but I'm really leaning towards building my box. I just either need a good blueprint/ set of details or else a course on building a proper box that would be tuned correctly. And Tential the builds Ive read included most of the stuff you recommended. But I wonder can i stretch a marty cube to my desired dimensions like chaludgap recommended. That was one thing I was pondering?

Yes ,

24 wide by 21 deep by 32" high. Will be a bit larger then cube so your tuning will be 18-19 hz. I just don't know what the length of the vertical port wall will be. If no one does it just pm ltd02.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1524179/where-to-begin-in-diy-subs#post_24525941

Yes ,

24 wide by 21 deep by 32" high. Will be a bit larger then cube so your tuning will be 18-19 hz. I just don't know what the length of the vertical port wall will be. If no one does it just pm ltd02.

Thanks Ive browsed the martycube a couple of times since i've seen it mentioned so many times on the forum. This is looking like my most attractive option so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts