AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be wiring my new construction soon and I plan to pull 2 RG6 Quad Shield and 2 Cat 6 to each television location. I can find this cable in 2 cat 5e and 2 RG 6 Quad Shield, but I can only find it bundled with Cat 6 on amazon. The supply house I know can get it for about 70 cent per foot with Cat 5e. I think Cat 6 runs the price up a little bit, but none of the supply houses have it. I would really rather buy the cable at a supply house. Any reason that I can't find it? Monoprice doesn't have it that I can find.

Any and all answers and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Subtotal = $0.00 (View Cart/Checkout)

Shop - Coax Cable RG6 RG59 - Honeywell Genesis 5957 2 x Cat6 2 x RG6 Quad

Honeywell Genesis 5957 2 x Cat6 2 x RG6 Quad

Honeywell Genesis 5957 2 x Cat6 2 x RG6 Quad

(2) 4 pair 23ga Category 6 UTP cables
(2) RG-6 quad shield 3.0 GHz Solid Bare Copper conductor coax cables

Genesis 5957 jacketless multimedia cable; the simplest, most cost effective solution for residential structured cable applications. Individual cables are held together by a revolutionary tight continuous twist scheme. This twist scheme holds the cables together without any binding tapes or adhesive materials. The twisting method prevents any deterioration of the original cable’s performance.

Each cable has sequential footage markings on the jacket with a ripcord under the jacket.
ETL Verified to TIA/EIA 568-B.2 Category 6.
Cat 6 print legend: “HONEYWELL CAT 6 4PR23 3038058 (ETL) CMR/CL2R SUNRES ETL VERIFIED TO CAT 6 W/O#XXXXX-XXX XXXXFT”
RG-6/U print legend: “HONEYWELL RG6/U 18 AWG QUAD SHIELD 3.0 GHZ 3038058 (ETL) CATV OR CL2 SUNRES W/O#XXXXX-XXX XXXXFT”=
CMR/CL2R/CATV
Min. Bend Radius: 3”
Jacket Colors: Cat 6 – Blue & Yellow; RG-6/U – White & Black

Part Number Length Price
59575099 500ft Each: $470.63

tselectronics

Expensive stuff. Belden 7915A is my favorite RG-6. Quad is sometimes a over kill and harder to work with.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yikes. Compare to Monoprice:

1000ft RG6 (18AWG), Quad Shield, CL2 Bulk Cable $153.50 x 2 = $307 for 1000'

1000FT 23AWG Cat6 500MHz UTP Solid, Riser Rated $106.29 x 2 = $212.58 for 1000'

So a little more and get double the cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks !

Thanks for the replies. What I am hearing is that I would be better off to not buy bundled cable. It would be cheaper and easier to buy the cable individually. I'll be glad to go with that. I guess I could just buy the RG6 and CAT6 from Monoprice.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm sure there might be use cases where the bundled cable makes sense, but I don't think it does for a DIY project where you're watching your costs. You can rack the reels and boxes next to each other at the head end, tape the ends together, and pull all four at the same time to the destination. Then cut, tape, label, and do it again...

A hint if you've never done this before - the Cat5 boxes pull fairly easily, but the RG6 reels can be a pain. A handy expedient is a small folding (A frame type) ladder and a length of pipe. Hang the reels between the steps of the ladder on the pipe. Then they can rotate as you pull cable off.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yep, your better off not buying bundled cable. That Monoprice RG-6 is copper clad steel, not a solid copper center conductor. Also their CAT 6 is shielded. I would look for unshielded or just buy theirs and don't use the shields.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The price I quoted above is for Monoprice's UTP Cat 6, not STP. They have both.

You're correct about CCS vs SC on the RG-6, but the only place that matters is on long runs that are pushing DC on the cable, like to the sat dish. That may be an issue for the OP, or may not. Almost certainly not for the runs that he was going to use bundled cable. I'm kinda surprised that Monoprice doesn't sell both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts