AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i get an ipod cable that length and what is the term for that kind of cable?

any suggestions for a nice ipod dock?

Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am not very familiar with the types of connections for the ipod. I have stayed away to date because I am not a big fan of apples DRM setup (looks like that is changing now finally)

But I know a fair amount about connections in general. Are you thinking of going from the headphone output to rca jacks on the reciever, if so that is pretty easy.

Let us know more about what connections you intend to use, then also if you want it in wall or not and we can surely help you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok, so I am not sure if I know the cleanest solution for you, but lets see if I can send you down the right path anyway since nobody else is jumping in.

I know you can send analog audio on coax cable, I am using "precision video" cable to distribute component and L and R audio. Search on coleman 99401 for the mini size and look at the specs. You can run this through the wall and crimp on RCA connectors. At the ipod end you could get feed through RCA jacks on a wall plate, then plug in a headphone to RCA adapter cable. I know this stuff is very commonly available. You might also see if you can find a feed through wall plate with a headphone jack, then convert to the RCA in the box. Might look a little cleaner.

Hope this helps send you down the right track!

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are using this cable in-wall make sure it is rated for that use. The standard 2 RCA extension cable from Monoprice is not. They have some cables in the digital coaxial section that would work, just need to use 2. 50' is the max they have though.

If you need pre-terminated longer cable, you could use this
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

component cable and just use two of the three conductors, it is rated for in wall use.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have you thought of buying an Apple Airport Express and then streaming your music from iTunes to the Airport Express? The Airport Express connects to your local wireless computer network, assuming you have one, and it plugs into your receiver (either analog or digital audio out from the AE). That might be a more elegant solution than 70 ft of cable subject to interference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts