AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I’m using the Radioshack Double Bow Tie UHF antenna and have had some limited success in receiving OTA HDTV in Baltimore city. What irks me is that I live 2.5 miles away from the transmition tower and only have one building in the way, but I can’t get above 50% signal strength. (Samsung SIRT-150)

I tried buying a Silver Sensor antenna from http://www.nbtelectronics.com with no luck. Haven’t heard from them in two weeks and they aren’t responding to e-mails. Does anybody know a reliable place that will quickly ship this antenna?

I’m still undecided if I should keep the Samsung and wait another year for HDTV because the RS Double Bow Tie is a huge hassle. I.E. If I point it straight at the towers I get no signal strength due to multipath. And I only have two weeks left to return the STB.

TIA

Andreas

·
Registered
77 Posts
Andreas,

I have the Samsung box also, and get no more than 50 % signal strength with the RS double bow tie (from stations that are about 35 miles away) either. Most of the stations are in the 6 to 7 bar range. The key thing is whether you get a stable picture or not. I tried the Silver Sensor but for me it was too directional and I reverted to the RS DBT antenna, butt ugly as it is.

NBT I found to be very reliable, although inefficient, probably because of the international transaction and ground transportation.

Jim

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Andreas, your order was processed the day after we received it and it shipped the day after that. The only email I've received from you was on Sunday (we're closed Sunday) and I replied and provided you a tracking number yesterday (Tuesday). Now I sincerely apologize for missing Monday, but all in all, I don't think we've done that bad!

The biggest PITA for the Silver Sensor is that the only economical delivery method to the US is through the postal service and this requires that I take the shipments to the post office. They don't pick up, unfortunately. Also, some packages from the same batch sail through customs in a day, others are inexplicably held up for days and even weeks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,

Thank you for the quick reply, I got your e-mail with the tracking number. I thought the shipping was done via Fedex since the shipping was listed as 2 day. (Fedex usually clears customs very quickly). I never thought USPS would be that slow. Oh well. :p

On another note, it probably would be a good idea to send the person buying the product a confirmation e-mail , and then another e-mail when the product actually ships. This is what I'm used to when I buy things online, and I just got worried when I thought nothing was happening.

I would be a good idea to put a note on the shipping page stating the U.S. customs mess. (Maybe add an expensive FedEx option for inpatient folk like myself.)

Other than that I'm very impressed that you actually tracked me down on a bullettin board to help me out. I definetely would recommend your store.

Andreas

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Andreas, thanks for your input, it's most appreciated!

The web page for the Silver Sensor states:

"All delivery times are estimated. Only the 'Express' method provides a tracking number. All methods are via Canada Post & USPS "

Sending these FedEx is a non-starter, I'm afraid. First of all, it would cost about $60! No kidding either. It's $30 or so for customs clearing alone, plus there is additional paperwork that I must fill out to satisfy all parties (FedEx, US Customs and even the FCC).

The 2-4 day estimate is usually pretty close, providing it doesn't get held up in US Customs.

As for confirmation emails, I hear you. You should have received an automated order confirmation, but there is no automated shipping confirmation available in the ecommerce system I use. I will try to make a habit of it in the future, but it requires a personal response to every order. Still, I think it'll be worth the effort.

Oh, and I didn't actually track you down! Check my profile, I'm a 'Senior Member' here :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.