AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is a good place to buy Antenna's at? I would like a small one that I can mount easy (not more that 3-4 feet high....) or one that will attach to a 24" sat dish...

Chris

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have to disagree most strongly with Ulysses' advice. A quick search for Terk antennae on this forum will reveal that outdoor Terks generally do not live up to their considerable hype.

All of the Orlando DTV stations are UHF and all but one of the Tampa stations are as well. You should consider a UHF-only antenna. Channelmaster and Winegard make fine outdoor antennae. Antennacraft and Radio Shack also have well engineered models. Consider the Channelmaster 4221, 4228 or 4248. You may be able to mount one of these larger models in your attic, if Home Owners Associations or aesthetics concern you.

If you insist on an internal antenna, Terk's internal powered antennae do perform adequately. However, your first option should be the Radio Shack internal double bowtie for ~$17. Many people get great reception with this dirt-cheap indoor antenna. Multiwave's MTV-1 is another very nice powered internal antenna.

The following is your local Channelmaster distributor:

DSI Systems Inc.

4105 34th Street

Orlando, FL 32811

Radio Shack may be your best option if you are willing to do the installation yourself. They have a wide selection and an extremely liberal return policy. Try several antennae and keep the one that works best for you. Good luck and enjoy all the great stations in your market!

Jim

P.S. I was foolish enough to buy a Terk 50 for $100+. The thing worked like dog poo. Your mileage may vary, but I found that a $3.99 folded dipole (t-shaped wire) mounted on the wall behind my TV worked better than the Terk. So yes, I have something against the Terks, especially the pricier models.

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go to Circuit City. They carry many antennas, the best of which is the Terk. They are powered and can draw in a very powerful signal. The TRK TV42 mounts on a dish and costs 49.99. The TV50 is a little nicer. It looks like a long rod and can be mounted outdoors or indoors. the picture from both of these antennas is spectacular. Most agree it is cable quality. Also, check out the TV20. It is an indoor "rabbit ear" type antenna with a very powerful amplifier. 40 Hz on both the UHF and VHF frequencies. This one might just do the job you're looking to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.