AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have *D and I want to know if they sell the Dish Covers?

I dont know the exact name of it but is it worth buying and where can I contact a legit company that sells them?

Any help would be great...

·
Registered
379 Posts
What is your intent in adding a dish cover?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember last year when it snowed a lot, I had to climb and clean off the dish and the lnb's? So I figure this year a cover would be better?

Any suggestions would be great....

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Please be more specific with topic titles, see my edit.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Not that I have much of a snow problem, but I understand that a snugly fit plastic garbage bag will do the job with no loss of signal strength.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
But... instead of wiping some snow off when you want to watch TV, you need to add on a cover before, and then take it off after while you watch? Seems about the same amount of trouble either way.

wjbjr's idea about a snugly fit garbage bag seems smart if you keep the signal. Snow would fall off the plastic much easier.

·
Registered
589 Posts
A garbage bag? Do you guys have neighbors?

Buy a decent looking cover instead... please. :)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I had no idea you could get a picture with this on your dish: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...PROD=SADSC1820

I figured you had to take it off to watch TV, which defeated the purpose of having a cover to stop the snow because it would still be a pain to take that off.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by uscboy
A garbage bag? Do you guys have neighbors?

Buy a decent looking cover instead... please. :)

That's funny. About 7 years ago when I got my first DirecTv sat. I was living in an apartment that didn't allow them but I really wanted satelite tv. So... I mounted the dish any. I was on the second floor and I mounted the dish on the balcony railing then I just put a black garbage bag over it and noone ever asked what it was. People stored all kinds of things on their balcony. It's funny now :D

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I would not use a garbage bag but if my neighbors complain of my 3 dishes and OTA antenna I would just put another up :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
What do you have three dishes for? DirecTV and Dish and something else?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Many of us who started DirecTV years ago with an 18" dish when it all came from Sat A added a second dish for Sat B and still later a third dish for Sat C. (Fear not, my neighbors cannot see them -- not that it matters).

And, as for your deprecation of garbage bags, a properly fitted and trimmed one results in the appearance of no more than a dish tightly covered in plastic. It in no way resembles a bag of garbage.

For those concerned about signal problems, know that plastic, whether it be a cover or screening, will not diminish the signal going to the dish(s). Removal is not necessary.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
10' C-band/KU BUD :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
10' C-band/KU BUD :)
Big Ugly Dish? :D

JK, C band sounds cool with a little patience and no wife to complain about

the dish in the yard.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Big Ugly Dish? :D

JK, C band sounds cool with a little patience and no wife to complain about

the dish in the yard.
I cannot wait to turn off D*, my committment date is Jan 1 (happy new year) and I can subscribe to all the SD channels that interest me ala carte for a little over $100 a year and I get to watch them at "full bandwidth" with out all the compression and maybe grab Voom since I already have a dish pointed at 64.5...

Your right, no wife to complain about my hobbies :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I installed the solidsignal dish cover about 3-4 weeks ago and it

actually has helped with rain fade. There was no signal loss, and

it's an easy install with 2 bungee cords.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.