AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new TV, and want to go with a DLP to get more bang for my buck. My brother has a Samsung HL-S6187w that I love, and want to get something comparable to that.


However, I'm having a much harder time finding them available now than when I was looking a few years ago though? I can't even find them on Amazon anymore.


What is the newest model equivalent TV and where can I find it at a good price nowadays? Is that the route you guys would recommend, or has something come along that beats the Sammy's since I was last in the market a couple years ago (right around when SXRDs were phased out).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I plan on eventually buying my next TV at tigerdirect.com. I haven't seen very many stores in my area (Columbus, Oh) that carry DLP TVs anymore; LCD and plasma are all the rage (though I've seen a significant lack of plasmas too nowadays, probably because of LEDs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
Only Mitsubishi makes dlp at this time. Every other manufacturer has gotten out of the dlp business. Amazon carries them as far as I know, the last time I looked.


I personally wouldn't buy a DLP due to their needing repairs all the time, but if you want the larger size at the cheaper price, then check out the Mits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/16907033


Only Mitsubishi makes dlp at this time. Every other manufacturer has gotten out of the dlp business. Amazon carries them as far as I know, the last time I looked.


I personally wouldn't buy a DLP due to their needing repairs all the time, but if you want the larger size at the cheaper price, then check out the Mits.

That is a false statement. They dont need repairs all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Onecall

6th Ave Electronics is great and running a sale right now. I just got a WD-65837 for $1700 through them.


Also, if you prefer brick and mortar stores, Best Buy and Fry's still sell DLP's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo /forum/post/16907047


That is a false statement. They dont need repairs all the time.


Agreed..


I bought mine at Vann's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo /forum/post/16907047


That is a false statement. They dont need repairs all the time.


Well if you take a little time to read thru many threads on this forum, you will see the statement is true for many. I personally have had a Samsung HLR for almost 4 years and it has been very good. But my one experience doesn't necessarily reflect the ownership of others.


Before you claim they don't need more repairs than LCD or Plasma, do some reading. Check collapsed light tunnels, failed optical blocks, broken color wheels, DMD board failures, etc., etc. And people now running into the unavailability of repair parts.


As I've stated before, I would not buy a tv with a technology which as been abandoned by all tv makers except Mitsu.


There is a reason, tv failure is it, and you can disagree. But there is a reason all manufacturer's have left the technology behind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/16907696


Before you claim they don't need more repairs than LCD or Plasma, do some reading. Check collapsed light tunnels, failed optical blocks, broken color wheels, DMD board failures, etc., etc. And people now running into the unavailability of repair parts.

That's like me saying "do some reading about LCD's. Check Stuck/dead pixels, etc....


All displays have problems, and those problems get reported on forums like these. Unless you've done a scientific survey comparing owners of a particular set type to the number of problems with that set then you really don't have a clue as to the failure/repair rate of any product.

Quote:
There is a reason, tv failure is it, and you can disagree. But there is a reason all manufacturer's have left the technology behind.

The reason is simple, flat panels sell better. It's all about sales. Manufacturers don't give a crap about how bad the tech is if the sales are good.


Example, LCD's are the best selling sets, despite having by far the worst gray scales of any display type and being notorious for having motion blur. And the ever present stuck or dead pixel, which is so common that most manufacturers require that you have a few dozen before they will repair or replace the set.


Most people would rather have a 42" LCD flat panel than a 60" DLP. Most people would also buy that TV from Walmart rather than a high end electronics store. The ignorant masses rule the marketplace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
You are taking this personally. Like all the ridiculous screaming matches between plasma and LCD owner's about which one is better.


My intent is not to argue about the technology. I have a DLP, I was a believer in the technology. Tho over the years and now with the repair parts going away, it's time to move on. You may cling to the past as much as you like, but reality is reality.


I don't like LCD better because it's a flatter cabinet. I'm probably one of the better informed HD humans around. I have two LCDs, they are easier to live with and have outstanding picture quality, maybe others agree, maybe not. I don't really care.


Your (and mine) DLPs are going away. Parts will become unavailable. Time to move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/16907878


You are taking this personally. Like all the ridiculous screaming matches between plasma and LCD owner's about which one is better.


My intent is not to argue about the technology. I have a DLP, I was a believer in the technology. Tho over the years and now with the repair parts going away, it's time to move on. You may cling to the past as much as you like, but reality is reality.


I don't like LCD better because it's a flatter cabinet. I'm probably one of the better informed HD humans around. I have two LCDs, they are easier to live with and have outstanding picture quality, maybe others agree, maybe not. I don't really care.


Your (and mine) DLPs are going away. Parts will become unavailable. Time to move on.

I think it is OK to view DLPs as disposable, and not worry about parts. A friend got a 60" Mitsubishi for around $1000 during a Father's Day Sale. He loves the picture, and he used an AMEX card that extends the warranty for a year, so he is covered for two years. If the DLP fails in two years, he can just dump the TV and buy an LCD in the 60" class. Today an LCD in the 60" class costs more than twice as much as a 60" DLP, but the prices of LCDs will continue to drop. So financially, he will probably still come out ahead if the DLP dies after two years and he replaces it with an LCD.


-Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/16907878


Your (and mine) DLPs are going away. Parts will become unavailable. Time to move on.

The same could be said for gasoline powered vehicles. But for now, DLP is still the best value in the larger sizes, at least assuming you can't do FP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
Dave, You make a good point. And taken from your point of view, a DLP makes sense. I think the OP certainly didn't want to open a thread to cause an argument and your addition is a good, reasonable way to look at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,799 Posts
I don't know about other areas, but here in Fort Lauderdale the best buys on Mitsubishi DLPs are at CompUSA. Some of the in-store only pricing on the larger sets (over 60") is just short of ridiculous. Incidentally, I've owned DLPs from Toshiba, Samsung, and Mitsubishi; I find the sets to provide the best bang for the buck, along with an exceptional picture (particularly in the case of the Mitsubishis).


All technologies have their inherent drawbacks, and there isn't a single manufacturer who has not produced models with design and/or manufacturing flaws. You tend to hear only the bad things about sets (especially on forums like this where people tend to overdo it when they vent), but I don't think people should rely on generalizations when choosing a display of any kind. As someone who's had first hand experience with all of the technologies (except OLED...I need something bigger than that little Sony), I think they all can do better, especially in the quality-control department.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/16907878


You are taking this personally. Like all the ridiculous screaming matches between plasma and LCD owner's about which one is better.

You're the only one trying to say one type of TV is better. All I said is that unless you've actually done a survey of users, you're just guessing at best.

Quote:
My intent is not to argue about the technology. I have a DLP, I was a believer in the technology. Tho over the years and now with the repair parts going away, it's time to move on. You may cling to the past as much as you like, but reality is reality.

OK, in reality, how easy do you think it is to get replacement parts for a 5+ year old LCD or plasma? Have you even considered the fact that some parts in flat panels simply aren't repairable, or the fact that the cost of an obsolete replacement part is probably higher than a new set?


Seriously, if your 4 year old flat panel fails, your best option is to replace the set. How is DLP any worse off?

Quote:
I don't like LCD better because it's a flatter cabinet. I'm probably one of the better informed HD humans around. I have two LCDs, they are easier to live with and have outstanding picture quality, maybe others agree, maybe not. I don't really care.

You say you're better informed, and yet say LCD's have "outstanding picture quality" when they just don't. Not with 6-bit and 8-bit screens. The gray scales are wretched, blacks are typically crushed, etc... It's a hardware limitation of LCD.


Between Plasma, DLP, and LCD, LCD has the worst image quality. I'm sure you in your well informed position knows this though.

Quote:
Your (and mine) DLPs are going away. Parts will become unavailable. Time to move on.

One day the parts will be unavailable, and if my TV breaks down then, I will move on. But that's true of any TV. I've got an 8 year old Panasonic 32" SDTV that's also impossible to find parts for and will have to be replaced should it break. Doesn't mean I never should have bought it, which is what you are trying to suggest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/16908262


Dave, You make a good point. And taken from your point of view, a DLP makes sense. I think the OP certainly didn't want to open a thread to cause an argument and your addition is a good, reasonable way to look at it.

Thanks for the comments.


I have another friend that spent $2600 on a 50" 720p plasma three years ago. The TV is now out of warranty, and the picture turns green on warm days. When he recently saw a 50" 720p plasma on sale at Walmart for $799.99, he decided that he would not bother fixing the TV, despite the fact that he paid $2600. He put a fan behind the TV, which is working for now, and hopefully it will be OK over the winter and he can replace it next year.


Even if you spend more money to buy a great LCD, chances are you will replace it rather than repair it when it is out of warranty, since a comparable TV should cost a lot less when the warranty expires.


-Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info that Mitsu is the only DLP maker now, I wasn't aware that Samsung was out of the game.


So is the latest model of Samsung DLPs the HLA models? Are those still available anywhere?


If not, are the modern Mitsu's comparable. I remember back when I was last looking a few years ago the Samsung HLS's and Sony SXRD's ruled the market place? Are the Mitsu's comparable now? Which of the Mitsu's are the current model year.


Even if they are, are the HLA's still availabe anywhere online? Finding them locally probaby won't be an option, but I could always check if anyone has any ideas for that as well.


I checked Tiger Direct and I couldn't find any Samsung DLPs on their site.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top