AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what dvi cable would i need to connect my nvidia video card to my tv's dvi input?

would the dvi cable be readily available at any electronics store? don't feel like ordering online. just want to get at local b&m.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I went searching for one.. Best Buy had a 3m dual link DVI-D, CompUSA didn't have any, just adapters. I bought it from Best Buy for $75. I kept it for two weeks and in the mean time I ordered from Pacific Custom Cable, Inc (online) and got a 5m single link DVI-D for $40 w/ tax + shipping... online is the way to go... you might get something at a local retailer to keep you tied over though.

-- Navid

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought a dvi cable would be cheaper. i recall reading that dvi cables are substantially less than good component cables.

did i misread? just curious. also...pacific cable had some dvi cables for 15-30 bucks. are those the incorrect ones?

·
Registered
93 Posts
$15-30 is correct... depends on the length... I opted for the longest ($30) and thus, with tax/shipping came out to just over $40... still considerably less than what I paid at Best Buy.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by imajazz
i thought a dvi cable would be cheaper. i recall reading that dvi cables are substantially less than good component cables.

did i misread? just curious. also...pacific cable had some dvi cables for 15-30 bucks. are those the incorrect ones?
Everything I've seen with DVI needs DVI-D male to DVI-D male, single link. You can pay a few bucks extra and get a dual link cable but those extra wires won't be used (maybe in the future, but current TVs and such don't need it at the current resolutions). People have reported good results with the 2 and 3 meter Pacific Cable(s). I wish I'd heard about them before I ordered mine (paid around $40 for a 9' Belkin).

-Rob-

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
B&M prices on DVI cables are outragious. There are several good places to order online, though the cheapest prices are on eBay. I got my 3m DVI cable for $7 shipped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.