AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a source for cheap, reasonably quiet and reliable case fans of various sizes. I don't mind replacing every few years if they are cheap enough. I've found that even when I buy expensive fans, they don't last much longer than cheap ones. I don't have any computer stores like Frys or Microcenter nearby, so ebay or Amazon would be best. So where do you guys get the best deals on fans online?

Thanks

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1525150/where-to-buy-fans#post_24551106

Looking for a source for cheap, reasonably quiet and reliable case fans of various sizes. I don't mind replacing every few years if they are cheap enough. I've found that even when I buy expensive fans, they don't last much longer than cheap ones. I don't have any computer stores like Frys or Microcenter nearby, so ebay or Amazon would be best. So where do you guys get the best deals on fans online?

I started my quest for the fans of my dreams by looking at some of the sites that claim to specialize in Quiet PCs. Google was my friend. For some reason there seem to be a lot of people moving out highly recommended fans for very competitive prices on eBay, mostly postpaid. Amazon can be good, too. Ditto for the Egg.

Quiet case fans start out with cases that have provisions for mounting large fans - 120 mm or so. So rule 1 is that it all starts out with the case.

IME the order of fans to work on: CPU fan, PSU fan, and then case fans. A quiet CPU fan starts out with a big well-designed heat sink, and in order to accommodate those, again it all starts with the case.

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm seeing Noctua, AcoustiFan, CoolLink and Scythe pop up most on sites like that. I'll scour ebay for those and see what I can find. I've got pretty quiet PS's and big sinks and big fans on my CPU's, so those are good as well. The loudest things at the moment are my case fans. I'll definitely go for the largest ones I can fit.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1525150/where-to-buy-fans#post_24551260

Thanks. I'm seeing Noctua, AcoustiFan, CoolLink and Scythe pop up most on sites like that. I'll scour ebay for those and see what I can find. I've got pretty quiet PS's and big sinks and big fans on my CPU's, so those are good as well. The loudest things at the moment are my case fans. I'll definitely go for the largest ones I can fit.

Don't forget the 5 volt trick and fan controllers.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page1.html

Is there is any smart fan support on the motherboard?

Most modern fans spin pretty reliably down to about 3.5 volts DC. Antec has quiet fans with built in rubber grommet mounts and a 2-speed switch.

·
Registered
612 Posts
For longevity and quiet/performance ratio you basically want to avoid sleeve bearing fans and go with one of the hydraulic bearing fans.

Panaflo: http://www.coolerguys.com/panaflo.html

GentleTyphoon: http://www.coolerguys.com/sgt120.html

If you're looking for a cheaper fan then you'll have to go sleeved. If you want cheap, quiet, reliable and great performance then look no further than Yate Loon: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_1130_49_1051&products_id=4041

edit: I should add... not all sleeved fans are crap. But typically cheap sleeved fans are crap. Also not all Hydraulic fans are great. I have boxes of Cougar fans that have failed.

Also, if you're running the fans horizontal I would avoid sleeved... unless they are Yate Loon.... I've never had a Yate Loon die on me.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg  /t/1525150/where-to-buy-fans#post_24554716

lol, it's funny you say that, because I'm looking to replace the Yate Loon in my PSU as its too loud.

There are a bunch of Yate Loon models some loud some not so loud. The quiet model though is pretty quiet for a sleeve fan especially with the air flow it provides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts