AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am buying the Yamaha RX-V1700 and was wondering which place i should buy from? Yes i know it is unauthorized dealer and i am being cheap by trying to save some money going this route. So with that said from past experiences from either company who should i go with?

USA Wholesale

or

Butterflyphoto

or

Best Plasma

I think they are both good deals but maybe you guys know if one place is better then the other for ordering.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/0

Ok i am buying the Yamaha RX-V1700 and was wondering which place i should buy from? Yes i know it is unauthorized dealer and i am being cheap by trying to save some money going this route. So with that said from past experiences from either company who should i go with?

USA Wholesale

or

Butterflyphoto

I think they are both good deals but maybe you guys know if one place is better then the other for ordering.

First I would check out previous buyers' experiences on ResellersRatings.com . Look in the "Store Ratings" tab.

Also keep in mind that your warranty will probably be void if you buy from an unauthorized dealer. The reason I as say this, is I just had to send my AV receiver for repairs after 1.5 years of use (it happens). Luckily, it is still under warranty, so the repairs are free. You have to decide for yourself whether the absence of a warranty is worth the price difference.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought about that but i figure this i buy from authorized dealer it costs 1200.00 so i'm saving about 450.00. So even if it breaks and i have to spend 450.00 to fix it all evens out.

Probably bad way to think about it but thats what is convincing me to go the unauthorized route and hope for the best.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could buy here they got good seller reviews and i can buy an extended warranty of 3 years for 69.00 which would bring total purchase with warranty to $830.00 which still saves me about 400.00 instead of buying from authorized dealer.

Should i buy?

50 Topsellers

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Out of those unauthorized sellers I've head the best things about butterflyphoto, they seem to be the way to go if you're going unauthorized, at least from what I've read from some people in here, never had any experience with them. Definatly check out resellerratings.com before you do anything. There is a recent post here from a guy who went unauthorized and not a good experience, you should be able to find it easily.

Also, if you're going to get an extended waranty. Check those out throughly also, see exactly how they work, what they cover, who covers them, where the work is done, if there is a deductable and when the waranty goes into effect. Some of those extended waranties don't go into effect untill the manufacturer waranty runs out. So that means even tho yamaha doesn't cover unauthorized, they still sent you a 2 yr waranty in the box so any coverage on a waranty that doesn't start untill the manuf waranty runs out will not start for 2 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased my yamaha 2700 from Butterflyphoto just last week. Got here on time, works, no shortages. I have used them in the past also for a fairly high end digital camera. I sent back some items and had no problems with them crediting my card back. I have not had any warranty issues though, so I do not know what would happen if you had a problem. They mirror the factory warranty, with the exception of having to return the receiver to them for repairs. For the savings I realized I will take a chance on putting out shipping money.

Remember, an extended warranty starts after the factory warranty, or in this case the Butterflyphoto warranty. I figured that if my 2700 doesn't go down during the two years covered by Bfp, than I am throwing money out for nothing as the chances of it having a manufacturers defect that would be covered are almost nill by then.

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did it i ordered it from Butterflyphoto. The Yamaha RX-V1700 was $729.00 with shipping it came to 765.00 with a one year Butterfly warranty. But they had a speacial and for $69 you get a 3 year warranty where you can go to any authorized dealer and parts and labor are free and if it can't get fixed a new one is issued to you. This extended warranty is from yamaha.

So my end total with a 3 year warranty is $838.00. Not bad if you ask me when compared to $1200.00 from a authorized dealer

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/0

But they had a speacial and for $69 you get a 3 year warranty where you can go to any authorized dealer and parts and labor are free and if it can't get fixed a new one is issued to you. This extended warranty is from yamaha.

Not sure what they sold you but warranty they are selling is by Repairtech http://www.repairtechinc.com/learningcenter.asp (still investigating this myself, so far looks good and they have a few reputable outfits in my area as part of their network)

email sent to Butterfly...

Subject: Yamaha receiver

I see you are not an Authorized dealer for Yamaha, how does this affect the warranty and what is meant by a "Butterfly USA Warranty"? Should the item need serviced how is this done? Is this spelled out somewhere on the website?

Response...
We order our products from an official vendor. This usually only affects the warranty/service plans. The products we offer come with either the manufacturer's warranty, or ButterFlyPhoto warranty (for specific items, mainly audio equipment). Next to every item on our website when you click on it to add to cart, it informs you of what kind of warranty it comes with. As long as you have your receipt/invoice and UPC code off the box, the manufacturer's warranty is valid.

For Audio Products, some companies will not cover the warranties from items purchased on our website. ButterFlyPhoto will match the manufacturer's original warranty. You may refer to the manufacturer for a more detailed description of their warranty for this item. Please call a representative at extension 771 if you have further questions or concerns I have not been able to answer.

Customer Support

ButterFlyPhoto.com

1-800-339-9960

Ext. 772

My understandig is if I have a problem in the first year I have to ship it to them for repair. That could be a nightmare I don't want to deal with.

$400 difference in price is substantial, I normally would not go with an extended warranty but would want to be able to take it to a local authorized service center for the first year if there was a problem. Solution may be to purchase item and warranty separate if necessary, making sure item is purchased from a place with a good return policy and reputation as well as price.

The question is if I do go with a extended warranty from Repairtech, Mack or Phillips, would this extended warranty be in effect immediately since manufacturer won't stand by original warranty? I haven't got an answer on this in writing from any of the outfits yet. Anyone else been down this road?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.