AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Boise area stations are soon to begin experimental broadcasts of DTV signals. Two of the local retailers have held consumer education presentations to let us know about this and of course spotlight sets that can display these upcoming signals. The tuners to hook up to these sets of course have Direct TV circiuts in them. No thanks. I have 4dtv for now and am in no hurry to change as yet.

So my question is where can I buy a DTV tuner and only a tuner? The retailers say they will carry them when "they need to" whatever that means. I am ready to buy one now so is there a online site to buy DTV set top boxes? I have a video projector that can display HDTV signals and I am excited to see what they will look like in my theater room.

Thanks for the help and I hope to let everyone know of what is going on here with DTV signals. All stations are supposed to be broadcasting DTV by this time next year.

Alan

[This message has been edited by awblackmon (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Alan,

The Samsung SIR-T150 is an OTA-only tuner that does all current digital formats, including 720p and is among the most sensitive tuners. I live 35 to 40 miles from the transmitters in the Detroit area and get all 6 digital stations with a simple indoor antenna. The terrain here in MI may be a little flatter than in the potato state so this may not be the situation for you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Check a previous thread on this tuner at the HDTV hardware forum for info on mail order vendors, and how to get a $100 rebate (good till the end of August).

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm a Samsung T-150 owner and I can vouch for it. I didn't want all those channels. I recommend it. In a year or two it pays for itself, because I have no cable bill or satelite bill to pay. And I get a superior picture than either of those in most cases, and just as good in all cases. We watch certain things which are on the major networks, but otherwise leave the TV off.

------------------

-CB-

Interested in Atlanta specific issues?
Atlanta HDTV & DTV Group

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for your reply. I was spending a sleepless night and found the unit later after some searching the net. I may have to find a site now to buy it from. None of the local stores seems to offer it.

Samsung needs to update their web site though. They listed a SIR 100, and later I found the 150 on a domestic site.

I was a bit take back by the price of the unit. It was very close to what the satllite recievers cost with the built in tuners, but it sounds like the performance of the unit is much better than the combo set top boxes. So thanks for letting me know it is a good performer.

As to terrain Boise sits in a very flat area of the state. Just north east of my home is the towers on top of what we call Bogus Basin. It is a local ski area and the first range of mountains where the desert ends. Boise sits down in the desert and north of us the mountains begin. So reception should be pretty easy with the simplest of antennas.

Again thanks

Alan W. Blackmon

·
Registered
469 Posts
Alan,

Another option if you can find it would be the Panasonic TU-DST50. I have seen a few of these at Circuit City stores on close-out, and I picked one up for $150. They are tough to find, but some circuit city stores are just now starting to throw them on the clearance table, where they are finding them I do not know. Two stores in the area here (detroit) have not had one on display for a year, and just the other day, there is one on clearance for $199.99. Good luck on finding something.

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by awblackmon:

I was a bit take back by the price of the unit. It was very close to what the satllite recievers cost with the built in tuners, but it sounds like the performance of the unit is much better than the combo set top boxes. So thanks for letting me know it is a good performer.

Alan W. Blackmon[/b]
Alan, check out this thread...there's a rebate available for the SIRT150.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015008.html

----Rudy

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the post on the 150 rebates. I have my son, who works for Circiut City, tracking down the Panasonic unit for me. So one of these may be put to work in my home theater soon delivering DTV to my Sony 400q projector. I think I will spend some time tonight searching information on both units.

Alan

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a Panasonic TU-DST50 a few months ago at a Circuit City for $249 including a remote and component cable. They had four at the time, but they sold immediately. They were all factory refurbs with new warranty. Mine works great.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Allen A:
I bought a Panasonic TU-DST50 a few months ago at a Circuit City for $249 including a remote and component cable. They had four at the time, but they sold immediately. They were all factory refurbs with new warranty. Mine works great.
So that's the deal! I called several CC stores around me and none had any of the units for sale. One store did admit they use the DST50 to demo their HDTVs, but don't sell the units.

I suppose the DST50 unit is just a OTA HD decoder (without satellite) correct? I've searched the web for info, but what I've found is spotty at best.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The DST50 is actually OTA Digital only, the DST51 receives OTA Digital and OTA analog. Circuit City may have only used the units for demo's, but they are selling them as open box items now. I think it just comes down to luck in finding one. All the stores here in Detroit were out one month ago, but wondering through a store a few days ago they must have pulled one out of the stock room that they found and were selling it for 199.99.

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I wish I could snag that one. I checked everywhere here in CT and came up empty handed. Bernies had one and wanted $800 for it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I picked up a Samsung SIR-T150 today retail from Audio King (division of Ultimate Electronics) for $575. I forgot to ask about a rebate coupon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.