AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Circuit City. They want $250.00, which is insane.

My father has a 47WX49 (just like me) and now that my sister has a daughter who is starting to walk, he is panicked about his screen, for good reason.

So what are the options on screen protectors? He'd like the Panasonic one used for the 47WX51, since it is the proper size. Panasonic sells that for about $100 shipped (part #TKG2AD0007) but that means we would have to install it. That scares him. :eek:

He does not have the time to make one of his own (as some seem to do). So... I need options on where to buy and if anyone can install it for him and if so, for how much. If no one can install it, then i guess he'll have to suck it up.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can go to your nearest Lowe's or Home Depot and have them cut a clear acrylic plastic according to your screen size. Cost would only be around $17. Protective screens, aside from those that have anti-glare, are just tinted acrylic plastic. If you could only find someone who could take out your tv's screen to measure the width and height - 1/8 in. thickness is fine - then the same person can install the acrylic plastic for you when he puts back the screen.

However, if aesthetics is not that much of a deal. You can measure the screen including the bezel from outside, then have a clear plastic cut according to its size. You can use sticky back velcro strip (a 7/8 in. x 15 ft. roll is approx. $15) to hold the plastic screen. It may not look good because of the velcro strip but it's good enough protection for less than $30. Who knows, your father might even like the picture from his tv because of the glossy effect that the acrylic plastic will provide.

Regards,

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He won't pay $250 (wife would kill him) and the other option is NOT an option, as stated above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I edited my previous reply. Instead of using velcro squares, I suggest a velcro strip all around the bezel of the screen. The reason for this are stronger hold and symmetrical appearance. Once you put the protective plastic with velcro all around the edges, it looks like as if it came with the tv. Plus it gives your dad the option to take it out if reflection is bothering him.

I just finished mine with this process. I have a 53-in. Hitachi which I replaced the original protective screen with an acrylic plastic sheet because I couldn't stand the reflection. The reflection was reduced and the picture improved. But then I read about screen restacking in which you take out the plasctic screen and place it behind the the other 2 component (lenticular and fresnel) of the screen assembly. Again the picture improved and totally no reflection. However, I didn't like the way the picture appears when hit by light - washed out - so I decided to put back the protective screen. Besides, I also liked the glossy effect and I have an 8-year old who sometimes like to play in front of the tv. This time I thought if I put a gap between the lenticular screen and the protective plastic, the reflection might be minimized. Somehow it did.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.