AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've got my HTPC set up, I'd like to try the "region free" challenge. :) Specifically, I want to buy DVDs of the British TV shows "Men Behaving Badly" and "Coupling." Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any place online that will sell them to me, since I'm one of those filthy American types. Any suggestions?

For that matter, are there any specific challenges to playing a PAL DVD on my HTPC?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got so fed up with waiting for my favorites to show up on DVD in America, I started buying from www.amazon.co.uk -- prices are pretty reasonable w/o coupons and I'm at least a season ahead of the US release dates.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I just hacked my RCA RC6000P progressive scan for regions 1-6, one at a time I have it set now for R2. What would be a good R2 disc to try it out on. I order off of amazon.com all the time, and I am tired of waiting for non released The Final Countdown of PFE. For the longest time I couldn't get anything, but a mode hack. I found a code that worked with just my remote. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
It has already been mentioned but I've had good luck buying all the Buffy/VS DVD collections from www.amazon.co.uk

I usually get on the waiting list and pre-order for the new seasons as they are announced.

- Tom

·
Registered
574 Posts
I know this is a stupid question, but I need to ask one now and then.

Will Region 2 PAL disks play on our HTPC's and take advantage of the the extra resolution? I'm guessing they should but I don't have any to try and I would buy them instead if they did.

Also, would our DVD ROM drives have to be modified in their BIOS to allow this playback, and if they do will they have to modified back to then play Region 1 disks? The flexibility of any region would be great, especially for the higher resolution PAL format over here.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Once you flash the BIOS (of a DVD drive) its all regions no switching...

Be aware you also need one of the tools to defeat the SW DVD player / Windows counter...

I can second Blackstar and also buy a lot from www.play.com but I think they are only Euro shipping

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've used amazon.co.uk , but my wife swears by blackstar.co.uk as they have never been less than EXTREMELY polite and helpful to her when she has had questions, stupid or otherwise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.