AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inexpensive Toshiba DVD player in my kids room has stopped working. After entering a DVD, the drawer closes, the disk spins for a few seconds, then the LCD screen asks to "Insert Disk".

Are replacement transports available for sale? Where could I look for one of these?

Thanks

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DVD Player Basics - What is the name for the mechanical component inside a standalone DVD player which holds the DVD, and to which the laser is mounted?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
The loader.

As long as you are not worried about warranty or anything, open the unit up. You might be able to swap out the loader. See the recent thread "Replaced Loader in D1" where this has been done by many individuals with the Bravo. Including using a Toshiba drive. If yours uses a standard IDE interface and power cable, fittinng it into the case properly will be the hard part.

A new loader (DVD ROM drive) is $25-50, so it might be no more to just buy a new cheap DVD player.

BB

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No IDE connections, this is a 480i DVD player that would be connected to a television, not an internal drive in a computer. I've already purchased an innexpensive 480p player to replace this one, but now that I've taken it apart I want to see what it would take to fix it, just for the satisfaction of doing so.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
No IDE connections, this is a 480i DVD player that would be connected to a television, not an internal drive in a computer.
Understand that, but this is, in fact, how some (not all) consumer DVD players that connect to TVs are built inside, like the Bravo. They use a computer type loader.

Guess your does not fall into that group.

BB

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhhh... Thanks for the education BB. The loader in this low budget DVD player has 4 separate paper-thin ribbon connectors, which plug into a nearby board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.