AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in purchasing a Samsung 5072 and looking for some help in locating one at a local store or online. The Samsung website was of little use.

I did find it at TVAuthority but, have not purchased from them in the past.

Any suggetions on where to buy the 5072 are appreciated.

-

·
Registered
503 Posts
My local Sound Advice aka Tweeter has the 42inch . Also check Crutchfield you can mail order it and pay no taxes if you are outside of Virginia. SOmeone on here has one on order and should get it around the 20th or so. Waiting for his review once he gets it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit
I am very interested in purchasing a Samsung 5072 and looking for some help in locating one at a local store or online. The Samsung website was of little use.

I did find it at TVAuthority but, have not purchased from them in the past.

Any suggetions on where to buy the 5072 are appreciated.

-
I would stay far away from this years Samsung plasmas. I just returned a 4252 (which I believe has the same mechanism) due to the innability to remove the DNIe "feature".

It looks nice in the store, but if you display high-contrast images, it looks like total and complete crap. If you happen to have the LOTR Fellowship of the Ring extended edition, pop in disk 2 and go to the Moria scenes. I think it's around 28:33 in.

Next, push the DNIe demo button on the remote. You will see a nice image on the left hand side that you can never actually view, and a washed out posterized image on the right hand side that you will wonder why you spent $4000.

If you do decide to get the 5072, buy it from a brick and mortar store that you can return it to. I imagine that if you are posting / reading this forum, you will not like what you see.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am ready to order th 5072 from TVA, but now that I have read some negative posts regarding this DNIe issue, I am worried. Is there no work around this thing, such as adjusting so that picture looks good with DNIe on, but crap with DNIe off, the reverse? Any suggestions and/or experience out there???

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was really hoping to like the 4272 for all of the features that it has but the picture quality vs the 500u just isnt there. The details in the dark area are not very good. Also, the panny gives a more natural and sharper picture. I did look at the 4272 at two different stores and i will say that the set at the second store looked better than the one in the first.

Again, the XX72 series is $500 or so cheaper than the panny 500u plus you get a two year warranty. The all black sure would look good on my wall! If you get it home and have nothing else to compare it to, will you really notice?

I agree with the previous PDUB, buy it from a B&M and if you decide you want to exchange it, it's much less of a hassle.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve
If you get it home and have nothing else to compare it to, will you really notice?
If you have looked at a TV in the last 15 years, and you aren't watching Finding Nemo, you will notice.

(Not to disrepect Nemo and all, but it's the kind of image that gets some benefit from DNIe).

I can't stress enough to not get this set through a store where cost + return shipping is less than walk in price.

I am now waiting for the Samsung hitman squad to track me down and make me recant.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deharry
I am ready to order th 5072 from TVA, but now that I have read some negative posts regarding this DNIe issue, I am worried. Is there no work around this thing, such as adjusting so that picture looks good with DNIe on, but crap with DNIe off, the reverse? Any suggestions and/or experience out there???
There is a diagnostic menu you can get to (I think it is power off, mute, [1] [2] [8], power on). It has some things you can set under a menu called DNIe lite. However, it doesn't have a "turn off" bit, just a large number of parameters. If I wasn't able to return it, I suppose I would have spent the hours trying to disable it, but it just wasn't worth it to me.

I called Samsung tech support before I returned mine, and they claimed that there was no way to turn it off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
pdub99 isn't kidding, I (and others) have had similar experiences with recent Samsung plasmas. Do a search here on DNIe, and you'll see a lot of similar comments. Think three times before buying a Samsung that won't let you turn off DNIe.

Here's a link that gives you a hint of what DNIe does to a noisy picture. Still pictures don't give the full impact. At times, it's like watching through a Photoshop special effect or something.

Another issue with DNIe is that it dynamically changes the brightness, and I think color balance too, so side/top bars change brightness all the time. Trying to calibrate is a waste of time, because it's a moving target.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was really hooked on the Samsung but, given the responses here, what is the alternative choice in a 50" plasma?

A Panasonic 500U?

I am in NH, no sales tax, and would really like the ability to walk in and do a comparison. My local Tweeter, CC and BB did not have a Samsung to view but, do have the Panasonic.

Thanks

-

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just bought the 500U because of the issues in this thread. The Samsung has some great stats, but great stats don't really matter if the picture sucks.

Try buydig.com. They are responsive so far and if my TV arrives in one piece they'd be worth a look.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The members of this board are big fans of the Pan 50PX50U or the 500 model ,as well as the Pioneer 5050.

Being clueless I did alot of reading on both brands on the board and I'm going to go with the Panasonic, it's bit cheaper than the Pioneer and thats a factor for me.

Most members will tell ya that the big diffrence between the two sets is that the Panasonic gives a better black but the Pioneer does better in a bright room.

I personally don't think I would notice the diffrence. Many mebers have been super helpful with their ability to share their AV knowledge.

TVA seems to be the place to buy from, I have spoken with them, I may go with them, although I have the possibilty of a better deal locally thru a friend at a PC Richards.

Any problems with units from TVA seem to get corrected ASAP.

I don't think you would have any problems with them.

best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also am getting rid of the New Samsung 4252.. Doesn't matter if you want a 4272 ,5072,4252,4232. In the store they look great in HD.. take a DVD with you when you look at it.. Make sure it has a dark scene you are familure with and demo it before you buy it. The DNIE really magnifies areas that you would not want to be defined, , or light skin will look milky.. and no mater what settings you use, it won't go away. It does make some scenes better though., mostly bright ones, like the begining of TROY. the first fight scene , the DNIE really makes that scene incredible. Then you get to a dark scene in other movies and you will get so ticked, that you want to turn it off and take it back! I had a close up of Kim Bassinger face with the DNIE Demo on and it actually changes the color of her eyes drasticly.. Just a reminder, the DNIE on side of her face was the bad on. Then you get to a dark scene in other movies and you will get so ticked, that you want to turn it off and take it back. If we were at the point where everything was HD, I think these sets would do more good then harm. To far off to deal with the frustration of DVDs and SD. I'm waiting on the Panny now and I will report my feeling on the difference in PQ. Please make sure you buy from someone that will not hassle you on a return..!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've gone back and forth on this model too and have ultimately decided to go with the Panny 500u. Unless something comes out in the next week or two, i'm sticking to what was my orginal choice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ordered mine from Crutchfield and am expecting it after August 20 (RadYOacTve may have been referring to me).

I have a friend with a recent-model Samsung DLP and I watched LOTR with DNIe on; looked fine. I'll post a review once I have my 5072 set up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am still waiting to hear your review.

I was going to pull the trigger on the Panny but someone posted that there would be a price drop by the end of the month so I have a few weeks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Crutchfield just pushed back the ETA on the Samsung HP-R5072 from 8/15 to 8/19, which means delivery no sooner than 8/26... :(

On the plus side, hopefully some B&Ms will have the 5072 in stock before 8/19 (Magnolia Hi Fi in the SF Bay Area said they'd have some on the floor in the next week or so), so maybe I'll take my LOTR DVDs and see just how bad this DNIe problem is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This DNIe issue is disappointing. I saw the 4272 in HiFi Buys in Atlanta a week and a half ago, and it was one of the better looking tv's in there regardless of price. It was directly adjacent to it's Panasonic counterpart, and I thought the Samsung had BETTER black levels and richer color. Not to mention the Samsung is aesthetically superior to anything besides the Elites.

I was going to pull the trigger on this TV without a doubt until I heard about the DNIe problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Maybe it's because of all the pent-up anticipation, maybe it's because I want to like this TV so much, maybe because it's my first PDP, but... I am willing to give the 5072 the benefit of doubt until I have it set up in my living room, calibrated using DVE, etc.

If you read most people's feedback on DNIe, the vast majority of them complain about what DNIe does to 480i SD sources. Everyone seems to agree that DNIe is a good thing for true HD signals. The one area of contention is DVDs.

pdub99 reported (above) that the Moria scenes in LOTR looked unacceptable on his 4252. This is definitely alarming, but I wonder if the same will be true if I play the movie on the Samsung DVD-HD950 upconverting player in 768p fed via HDMI. The HD950 itself has some nice picture controls (gamma, color saturation, etc.), and the 5072 has even more. I'll just have to wait and see.

Last night I spent about an hour DVE-calibrating my current 9-year-old 27" Panasonic CRT (HD950 hooked up via S-Video :) ), then watched the Moria scenes in LOTR a couple of times. I must say my old TV never looked so good! Given that CRTs are still the gold standard when it comes to black level and contrast, this should give me a nice reference once the PDP arrives... any day now... (Well, actually, any day after 8/19... Grr...)

I will publicly hang my head in shame if the Sammy ends up as disappointing as pdub99 says, and will return it with a vengeance!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bode
I am willing to give the 5072 the benefit of doubt until I have it set up in my living room, calibrated using DVE, etc.
That is where the problems will start. You can't calibrate the set. It messes with the contrast and brightness dynamically. I only had an older copy of Video Essentials (no Digital in the name), but it was not possible to calibrate the screen using the test patters for brightness. Are there two brightness test patters in DVE as well? One with a gradiation on the right hand side and the two bars on the left, and one with a large bright side on the right and two bars on the left?

If this is the case, what I found was that you could not get a calibration to succeed. However, if you push the DNIe demo button, the left hand side of the screen can be calibrated correctly.

I might just be incompent though. I'd like to hear that you have better success. I'd rather it be a bad set on my part, but I tried it in a couple of stores as well.

I'll keep reading to see what you find.

·
Registered
140 Posts
pdub99,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub99
That is where the problems will start. You can't calibrate the set. It messes with the contrast and brightness dynamically. I only had an older copy of Video Essentials (no Digital in the name), but it was not possible to calibrate the screen using the test patters for brightness. Are there two brightness test patters in DVE as well? One with a gradiation on the right hand side and the two bars on the left, and one with a large bright side on the right and two bars on the left?
Hmm, I find it hard to believe that a $5000 latest-generation PDP couldn't be calibrated for brightness and contrast... (I am not saying you're wrong, since I haven't tried it yet, but it just sounds too awful to be true.)

My friend has last year's Samsung DLP (the pedestal variety), running DNIe, and he successfully calibrated his set using Avia. I will borrow his Avia disc as well as use my copy of DVE (and the quick THX calibration tool on the Star Wars DVDs, just for good measure).

In answer to your question about DVE, the brightness/contrast patterns in DVE are different from what you're describing. The basic brightness calibration pattern has four white/gray boxes in the middle and three dark grey/black vertical bars on either side. There is also at least one test pattern designed for sets with dynamic brightness/contrast adjustments (like DNIe).

Again, I am not disputing your findings at all. I am willing to live with OK (even some less-than-OK) standard def pictures as long as HD and upconverted DVDs look great. If I can't make Star Wars and LOTR look amazing after a few days of tinkering, back to the store it goes...

P.S.: Much as I would have loved to buy from a local B&M to make returns easier, the difference between the Crutchfield price of $4999 (no tax, free shipping) versus the local B&M price of $6200 (w/o shipping) was just too big to ignore...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.