AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm going to be retrofitting my house with 2xCat5 and 2x RG6 to each room and like the idea of purchasing a single structured cable to meet my needs. My only issue is where to actually find a local supplier, i live in the NY metro region and would rather avoid the $100 shipping fee for a 500' roll of cable.

Any ideas where I should look ?

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
374 Posts
Buy.com has a few choices, mostly 1 cat5e/2RG6Q, but I found this:

Buy.com link

I've purchased from Amazon and Ebay as well, in the past.

·
Registered
47 Posts
make sure that you check out monoprice.com and bluejeanscable.com. it's hard to beat their prices.....even if there is a shipping charge.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman /forum/post/14290530

or try home depot, they have both. Make sure you use RG6 quad shield...

Aceman

I think what he's looking for is 1 cable that has 2RG6 and 2Cat5e, does your Home Depot stock that?

·
Registered
329 Posts
No. Sorry about that, i would go for a company like JSC for the hybrid construction cable. To be honest, its a waste of $$$ to go that route, if its new construction its not much harder to pull 4 cables, we do it all the time.

Aceman

·
Registered
63 Posts
See if you can find a friend in the alarm, security, or home automation business and see if they buy from a distro called ADI.

My latest flyer from ADI shows Honeywell brand banana-peel style 2xRG6QS & 2xCAT5E cable at around $230 for a 500ft roll, on sale this month, for almost 50% off their regular wholesale price. It is the style where all four cables are fused together, kind of like twin-lead or clear speaker wire. This is a steal of a deal. And Honeywell makes some of the best cable in the business.

I plan on finishing my basement in another year or two, and at that price, I was tempted to buy a few rolls myself and throw it in storage for the time being.

I used their next-up version which has a green jacket surrounding the 4 cables, just for added protection, and I paid more than that a few years ago, when I built my home (and before copper hit the roof!). I used 3 rolls, and it wasn't cheap. I think I paid almost $400/roll wholesale back then. But now that it is done, it was the best money I spent. The banana peel version is the same cables, less the green overall jacket. Not really needed, but it did offer me some insurance against the drywall installers.

If you have some sort of business license, you could go and open up an ADI accound yourself. Check out their web site adilink dot com, and there should be a list of locations. They have locations all over NY, NJ, and CT, as well as the entire US.

Worst case, if you wanted to, and it was cost-advantagous (is that a word?) I could sell you a few rolls for a small markup to cover my gas and troubles to pick them up and meet you somewhere. PM me if you can't get it easily yourself and need help.

·
Registered
412 Posts
FYI - ADI will only sell to installers with a business. Same goes for almost all distributors.

I'd suggest trying Lowe's or Home Depot. I know we sell Lowe's and they can get any of our products (including bundled 2+2 cables). Menard's also if they are in your area.

Carl

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman /forum/post/14297895

No. Sorry about that, i would go for a company like JSC for the hybrid construction cable. To be honest, its a waste of $$$ to go that route, if its new construction its not much harder to pull 4 cables, we do it all the time.

Aceman

When I was pricing cabling, multimedia cable (2+2) cost ~three times as much as the same individual cables [from Graybar (an electrical supplier) as well as from Toner (a CATV distributor)].

1 - 9 of 9 Posts