AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ive had m pj for some time now (hitachi tx100), i have loved the quality for ages, but ive changed some factory settings and the gamma looks as though its off, basically i get sever color banding on dark scenes espescially, it driving me insane.

What would be causing this, changing gamma presets makes it more apparent, and i have no way of calibrating the gamma as i do not know how, it does have a greyscale pattern to calibrate if that helps???.

Would calling upon an isf calibrator most likely fix the issue as my pj will be soon in a dedicated room.......i really need some help, thanks to all in reply.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just a quick p.s, does anyone have a really bad color banding picture i could use as reference material so i can see adjustments in real time, im using an htpc as source.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Gamma adjustments shouldn't cause the increase or decrease "Banding". Banding shows as vertical stripes across the screen, is that what your seeing ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply guys, it must not be color banding then.What happens is that the colors dont blend in together, and it creates a gradient sort of look,espescially in dark scenes where spots of lights are reflected, and sky scenes also, the sky doesnt blend in properly, and i can nearly see each step in the gradient pattern, stepping effect maybe???

i dont know what the term for this is, but gamma presets definitely lessen/increase this.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
banding/contouring is a sharp gradation due to insufficient bit depth somewhere in the chain. What are you feeding the projector? If you are using video adjustments in 8-bit or something without sufficient bits for the processing, you will see this contouring where there should be none. This is usually, though not always, a limitation in the display. If it is particularly severe, it may be a compounding of bit-depth problems. Expansion to PC levels can introduce banding contouring as well. Resetting, or using more neutral settings in your display may eliminate banding problems, or minimize them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hello godisi,

why don't you just restore factory settings,

I don't know how to do it, casue i don't have the manual.

But this feature is on most projectors.

Hope that helps,

gezzaz3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.