AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm hooked on HDTV, and I have size envy.

I need to know how many pennies it'll take to satisfy my next-level craving.

So, where in the SF Bay Area (prefer South Bay) can I go to see well-set-up projectors in a range of prices?

Thanks in advance,

-yogaman

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Alas, you will mostly see overly priced projectors in suboptimal settings.

1. Century Stereo in Saratoga: very overpriced, somewhat difficult. Pretend you don't know anything and have a lot of money to spend.

2. In the same shopping center but I forget the name: A small store that has Dreamvision and Seleco. These people are very good.

3. LaserLand in San Jose (near Cupertino): Sharp and Vikikron. Variable in terms of their helpfulness.

If you want to see the cross-over business machines, such as the Infocus, Sanyo, NEC models that are popular on this forum, I really don't know where to recommend. Projection Systems on Bascom in Campbell is about the best of them, if you do in when things aren't too busy they will show you some business machines.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I forgot to mention.

There is a store in Monterey called Home Theatre Xcellence. The owner is a guy named Ron.

Ron is really very nice and very helpful. If I buy any of the products he sells, he is the one I would buy from.

He has Seleco and Dreamvision lines, and demos them very well.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The last time I was at Projection Systems, they didn't have the Sanyo PLV-60, but that was perhaps before you could have expected them to have it.

BTW the PLV-60 looked quite good at the Infocomm show.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the leads. I hope some of these are open Sundays.

Neither Yahoo Yellow Pages nor 411 has a listing for Projection Systems in Campbell. Yahoo lists a Projection Systems in Foster City. Could they have moved? Or do you have a cross street in case they have an unlisted phone number?

-yogaman

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Yogaman,

It is at about 2100 S. Bascom in Campbell, south of 17 freeway. I don't have a phone number for it, and believe that the name has not changed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, rlsmith.

Btw, I had a chance to visit that little store at El Paseo de Saratoga you mentioned. I spoke with Dan and he was quite helpful and knowledgable. The store's name is Paradise Audio and Video.

-yogaman

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yogaman,

SF Stereo has various projectors (Dwin and others) running in their three stores in Mt View, SF, and Berkeley. A high-end store

Frank

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Presentation Systems is the name of a store I found east of Hwy 17 at 2360 S. Bascom, Ste. G. I suspect that's what was called Projection Systems by rlsmith. Unfortunately, they were closed this weekend due to a trade show. (My guess is Infocomm.)

And thanks to Fludolph. Now my issue is budgeting time.

-yogaman

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yogaman,

If you are interested, you can come by and see my D-ILA G15/ISCO setup with HTPC/HDTV and 180" microperf Grayhawk screen. I'm close to Cupertino off of HWY 17/880.

-Dean.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fludolph:

Arrgh. Yahoo finds the SF and Berkeley stores, but not the Mountain View store. Again, I must ask, are you sure there's a store named "San Francisco Stereo" in Mountain View?

Dean:

You have email.

-yogaman

·
Registered
111 Posts
yogaman,

I was in the Mt View store a couple of weeks ago. It is located on El Camino a couple of blocks south of San Antonio, east (north) side of the street. The store is fairly easy to miss, but there is a See's Candy store across the street that is easier to spot.

Frank L

·
Registered
105 Posts
Like to ask this question again. Me too in SF bay area. Any dealer here has 11HT or 60HT in stock and with reasonable price to compete with mail order?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.