AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF and I have started considering a 42" ED plasma, And are now in the process narrowing down to Brand and model.

(space limitations have ruled out a RPTV or a CRT for this particular application, and the room is too highly fenestrated to achieve the light control necessary for a projector)

As for the ED vs. HD issue lets just say we did lots of research, soul searching and accounting and we decided that ED is where we should be.

So any way, we went out and started looking at 42" ED displays. We have yet to find a place where we can look at several of them side by side from a variety of sources. Most places are using this dreadful HDdiscovery channel loop, which looks so bad it is impossible to judge the displays. My GF is actually more picky uh I mean discerning than I am and anytime she sees Banding or artifacts and the sales guy cries poor media, she understandably wants to see some good media.

We finally found a nice sales guy at Good guys of all places who was willing to cart around a DVD player to three or four displays so we could look at the same media on judge a little better but still...

What I am looking for is a Brick and Mortar store in Los Angeles with knowledgeable sales folks and a set up that allows us to accurately judge weather a display that is $1000 more is really $1000 better. Ideally I would like to be switch between HD,SD & DVD input while we stand there.

On a side note I would appreciate recommendations on 42" ED displays that we should look at.

Our Criteria is:

Two component inputs

bright with good contrast

we don't need an onboard tuner or speakers

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's almost impossible to find such a place, even in LA, where you can hook up different sources to different brands plasma and do AB compare. Forget about GG and BB. Maybe Magnolia (Santa Monica and Torrance) IF you are serious to buy one from them (at MSRP). Some high end HiFi stores also carry HT stuffs like Runco plasma and you sure can hook up anything you want to any plasma but they usually only carry 1 or 2 brands, Runco and Marantz for example, high end and high profit margins stuffs.

Also a store called Audio Video City, or something like that, on Hawthrone and Redondo Beach Blvd. and another one on Wilshire in Santa Monica. They carry many brands and they are a bunch of "AV electronics sales guys" if you know what I mean... but do stop by and take a look, maybe you'll get the help you need.

A few HiFi stores that might carry plasmas: CH Automation Theaters (former Christopher Hansen, I think they moved) on Wilshire, Sound Factor on Wilshire, Systems Design Group in Redondo Beach and another one right next to it.

I ended up buying NEC 42VP4 EDTV from Dell. It has 2 components, good brightness, fairly good contrast, and no tuner and speaker.

Someday, I'm going to open a Hifi/HT store in LA and let you try anything you like, and hoping that you are serious about buying. 5-15% off MSRP would be the way I do business... Someday.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:
Also a store called Audio Video City, or something like that, on Hawthrone and Redondo Beach Blvd. and another one on Wilshire in Santa Monica. They carry many brands and they are a bunch of "AV electronics sales guys" if you know what I mean... but do stop by and take a look, maybe you'll get the help you need.
That's actually Video & Audio Center. Those addresses are correct.

They move a whole bunch of TVs, & have the widest array of panels displayed of anywhere I've seen. I think the owner works out of the Hawthorne & Redondo store.

·
Registered
13 Posts
even though i had planned and ended up buying online, i was able to make some decent comparisons over at magnolia in WLA/santa monica.

i was surprised on how reasonable they were over there. i already had a plasma in mind (the 6uy), and figured I'd look at the consumer version for comparison.

they had one on display all hooked up - of course, with the discoveryhd stream. and of course, they were trying to sell the fujitsu.

I requested to view different video streams on the various plasmas. to my surprise, they were very cooperative, and even showed me 4:3 SD on digital cable.

grabbed a card, said thanks, then ordered online with another company =)

in that area of wilshire blvd, there are like 4 or 5 high end AV places as well

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'll check out V&A center. Rsramirez how do you like your panny? After reading a bunch of threads here I am prety much ready to place my order for the TH-42PWD6UY.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i love the panny (42pwd6uy). since you mentioned you've ready all the good things here, there's not much more i can add

i had the electrograph and wasn't happy w/ it... returned it, got the panny... i currently am only watching SD and DVDs.. over the next week or so i'm going to try to setup OTA HD.

based on your requirements, it's a great match - for the 2 component inputs, you'll just need to get the VGA - Component cables and you'll be set

have fun

-r

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.