AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that nbc has the rights for the game on Feb 1st but is there a chance fox or cbs will play it as well? ( rent the rights or something) I am an OTA DT user and do not recieve nbc unless there are special conditions. I do however get fox and cbs.

Will fox or cbs run the game as well?

·
Registered
402 Posts
It may very well be available online however. NBC had been touting their online availability of Sunday Night Football with enhanced features.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what channel will it be carryed on in Canada? will ctv or cbc have it ?

Thanks

I may just have to jerry rig up the antenna where i get nbc . theres no way im watchign teh superbowl on my 17" computer screen when ive got a big screen in the living room thats dying for hd content.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
1) In the US, it will only be available in HD from NBC.

2) In Canada, it will be available in HD on CTV, which can be found on Cable, DBS providers Bell TV & Star Choice, and OTA in Toronto & Vancouver. Of course the CTV version will be simsub'ed:

From Wiki:

Simultaneous substitution, or simsub, is the practice by which cable, direct broadcast satellite and multichannel multipoint distribution service television distribution companies substitute a local or regional signal over a foreign or non-local signal, when two or more stations are airing the same programming at the same time. It is sometimes erroneously referred to as "simulcasting"; that term refers to the simultaneous broadcast of a program over two channels, regardless of whether or not there is signal replacement.

An interest, either of civic/national pride, or of protecting smaller commercial interests, is usually involved. The practice has close similarities between Canada and the United States.

Canada

In Canada, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission allows Canadian television broadcasters to require simultaneous substitution of their channel for U.S. channels when they choose to simulcast a show; consequently, they often do choose to do so. Although sometimes controversial, this practice is seen as a way to protect the broadcast rights and commercial revenues of Canadian television broadcasters, by ensuring that the Canadian commercials are seen by nearly all viewers of the program.

For example, Global airs several popular American series such as The Simpsons. With simultaneous substitution, Global can ensure that advertisements purchased on their network are seen by nearly all Canadians watching the show at that particular time, rather than losing advertising revenue because some viewers were seeing the FOX affiliate's commercials instead. This issue is at its most controversial during the Super Bowl, where the simsub rules usually block Canadian audiences from seeing the American commercials that they would see in the course of an American network broadcast during the Super Bowl.

High-definition feeds must also be simsubbed, but due to the lack of OTA HD transmitters outside of major markets (such as Vancouver and the Greater Toronto Area), HD simsubs are not very common outside of the aforementioned areas. The CRTC's policies on HD simsubs however, do not require them to be applied if the quality of the Canadian feed is not equal or better than the US feed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.