·
Registered
1,221 Posts
cc 199 minus 4100 rebate...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a sony device and although I plan on sending it in for repair, it would seem such a repair will take about four weeks. During that time I have no plans of going without my usual shows, so I'm going to pick up another unit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
a better way....

Sign up for the DirecTV service plan that is $60 a year. That covers everything - your dish, the UTV, other items. They will even come for free and repoint your dish after a storm if it gets out of whack.

I have this coverage - they have spent 3 business days at my house in the last year trouble shooting items, adding multiplexers - and have also replaced my UTV with a FedEx'd replacement unit. All at no charge other than the $60 for the protection plan.

Much better than some lame after market warranty at Best Buy - this $60 covesrs everything that I nee to stay up and running.

Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you go the CC route, make sure you pricematch to RadioShack. You probably won't get the $100 rebate, but you should get the UTV's for $90 (remember CC's new 110% price match).

Thats what I did :)

Sean

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Do these cheap prices require a new or continuing subscription agreement with Direct TV. What is required if one is an existing Direct TV subscriber? The kid I spoke to at Best Buy could not give me a coherent answer to either question.

Without price matching, who currently has the best deal, Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack or some other supplier?

Is it possible to buy a UTV cheap without a subscription (as a present).

Thank you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am with Scopeman. I have had one of my UTv's replaced under DTv's warranty with no problems. I have another that seems to be experiencing some problems, but have no concerns with the DTv coverage.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The problem with getting it repaired is isn't it still only a 30 day repair warranty?

I be inclined to get a new unit with an extended service contract like CC...

$50 for 5 years.. and that's prorated so if they can't repair it two years out they refund cost of your utv plus $30 for the balance on the service contract.. it's worth $10 a year.... :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
RS price for the UTV was $199 when i went not $99 anymore. Could someone give me the number of a store that has it so i can get a price match.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
at www.orbitsat.com you can get the sony w60 for $269 +$20 shipping with a $200 rebate bringing the cost down to $89 shipped. The sony also comes with a keyboard...

·
Registered
391 Posts
just ordered a Sony from WWW.MINIDISHES.TV. I here there customer service sucks but the price is great. Cost 239.99 plus 20.00 for shipping and that is if you are an existing customer (cheaper if your new to directv). The only problem from buying from companies like this is that if you have a problem, don't call them.

Rare

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RareB
just ordered a Sony from WWW.MINIDISHES.TV. I here there customer service sucks but the price is great. Cost 239.99 plus 20.00 for shipping and that is if you are an existing customer (cheaper if your new to directv). The only problem from buying from companies like this is that if you have a problem, don't call them.

Rare
I just looked for that deal and couldn't find it...is it under "Existing Subs?"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Click on this link http://www.minidishes.tv./ then click the words in the middle that says "Todays specials". This will take you to a ebay action site to order from (kind of cheesy if you ask me) or you can use that info from ebay to order directly from there site. I put in my order late on monday night, got an email in about 2min that was my receipt, and got receiver today (thursday). I did send them a letter with 3 questions on it and they told me to read the disclaimer on there web page for the answers to those questions. I had already read that disclaimer but they seem to contradict themselves in it and its kind of hard to understand. Because of that and what I have heard others post was why I said there customer service kind of sucks.

Rare

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got a second UTV from minidishes for $259 (price online today is now $254 :-(

My interpretation of their (rather confusing) legal agreement is you just have to call and get authorized, then you are free to cancel at any time without obligation. Is that correct?

If so, then for $54 (using $200 rebate) it almost makes sense to get a THIRD UTV and use it as either a spare, or for parts (extra remote and 40gb HD), by just authorizing it for a month for $5 extra, then canceling. Anyone see any legal problem with this?

Also does anyone know the limit to the number of authorized DSS receivers you can have in one houshold on a single subscription?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by will49
I just got a second UTV from minidishes for $259 (price online today is now $254 :-(

My interpretation of their (rather confusing) legal agreement is you just have to call and get authorized, then you are free to cancel at any time without obligation. Is that correct?

If so, then for $54 (using $200 rebate) it almost makes sense to get a THIRD UTV and use it as either a spare, or for parts (extra remote and 40gb HD), by just authorizing it for a month for $5 extra, then canceling. Anyone see any legal problem with this?

Also does anyone know the limit to the number of authorized DSS receivers you can have in one houshold on a single subscription?
I ordered mine from orbitsat but I did need to agree to a 12 month agreement. As for the limit I'm not sure but I've seen people's sigs with upto 8 receivers so I don't know if they impose a limit...I have 4 with no probs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just out of interest, did DSS have you run the phone tests while you were on the phone authorizing your receivers (to show they are all actually on the same line)? Or have your receivers regularly been phoning home anyway?

I can't (currently) connect all 4 of my receivers to the phone line at once and was wondering if I'm going to run into problems with them when I call to get my latest UTV authorized.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by will49
Just out of interest, did DSS have you run the phone tests while you were on the phone authorizing your receivers (to show they are all actually on the same line)? Or have your receivers regularly been phoning home anyway?

I can't (currently) connect all 4 of my receivers to the phone line at once and was wondering if I'm going to run into problems with them when I call to get my latest UTV authorized.
You don't even need them attached to the phone line...only dtivo's require it....all mine are plugged in because I order ppv with the remote sometimes....but if you order via the web or don't watch ppv you can leave it unplugged. They didn't make me run any phone tests.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.