Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Again Friends!

Sorry but I'm still new at this. But where can I find a diagram or wiring schematic to follow for installing an 18x24 dish with an Ota antenna?

Thanks for all the help.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dagman,

I do understand what you are saying but the manual that came with the dish doesnot say what to use or what is needed for installation of an ota antenna nor any hardware to use. The only thing it has is basic pointing of dish and how to install the dish. I have owned the regular sat 18" as well and even that did not come with instructions.

I was just asking for any help on what is best to use when combining the sat coax and the ota coax to one coax. Would it be best to use a dc pass diplexer? Or are there any better way of joining both without loosing any satellite signal due to having long coax down feed? I just think this is very new that is why I can't find a regular diagram for this. Because when I installed the 18" sat with a Vhf and Uhf omnidirectional antenna, I was able to use a powered multi switch. But with the multi switch that comes with the Direct-plus sat dish, no uhf or vhf inputs, and I DO NOT KNOW IF A SPLITTER IS A GOOD IDEA TO HOOK UP THE OTA ANT, AND CONNECT WITH DIPLEXERS.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Ed,

Because I only have one coax cable running in the wall from attic to the downstairs room. I have the Sony SATHD100.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Its called a diplexer. You do not want to go that route. Do yourself a huge favor and run a separate line.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Peter,

I agree with Dave, if possible, run another coax. However, if you cannot, check out these diagrams.
http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/dsa8900e.htm

I also have a SAT-HD100 and went to the trouble to run 3 RG6 runs, one for analog OTA, one for DT OTA, and one to the sat multiswitch. This way I do not need any splitters or diplexers which have the possibility to decrease the signal from my OTA antennas.

If the existing coax is loose in the wall and the hole in the header is large enough, use the existing coax to pull twine through and then pull both coax's back at the same time - if possible. If not, then the second diagram at the site above should help. The diagram does not show it, but you have to split the signal off at the SAT receiver with a diplexer. The diplexer also passes power on one port to the multiswitch and not on the other (which goes to the antenna in on the receiver).

Warren

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gents,

Warren, Infact I was pondering on that this afternoon to run a second line. But was thinking since the line was originating from the attic and since my place was just built a year and a half ago "How was I to do this?"

Because I saw the walls feild with studs that were blocking the way before being sheet rocked. So I guess I will try that using a twine to fish it.

That's a great idea!

Thanks.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,

I tried to pull wires with the twine but the coax cable wire would not come out from the downstairs wall. I think it's locked on the stud. Tried pulling the coax very hard but just won't budge. So I went with finishing installing my Channel Master ant 4221. Placed a Radioshack rotator but it got dark on me. So I have to wait till tom to hookup wirings. Out of curiosity, before I installed the antenna. I directly hooked up the 4221 on my Sony sathd100 box without amp and inside the house and it picked up all hd channels. If only I can run a second coax downstairs that solves all my problems.

Once again thanks for all the help. Y ou guys are great !

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The other alternative is to buy the 2 diplexers from Radio Shack, and see if you can still receive all the channels you can now. If there is no problem it saves pulling wires. If you are unhappy, you just return the diplexers. I personally hate pulling cable.

SM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.