AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about how much is a case of this stuff in 2x2 sheets? I would cut each in triangular halves and wrap in black fabric but I dont seem to see anywhere in asheville that carries. Definitely neither big box. might have to look around for some small boutique spots. would doing floor to ceiling be THAT much better than just 4 feet up the wall or so?

·
Registered
436 Posts
i bought it online from Acoustimac. Shipping added ~1/6 to cost of 6 2" x2'x4' sheets delivered to Chape Hill in

Owens Corning 705 Rigid Fiberglass 2" thick OC705 1 $128.00

Subtotal $128.00

Shipping & Handling $26.00

Grand Total $154.00

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that a full case? I would need approximately double that to go floor to ceiling. which gets me up over $300 in cost. Tr-traps from GIC arent even that much but would only cover 4 feet instead of floor to ceiling. I guess my question would be, how much better would the DIY floor to ceiling be vs the 4 foot tri-traps? I could just shove the sub boxes all the way in each corner and put the GIC tri-traps on top of them, which might be my only option as im not positive I have 2 feet of real estate in the corner before the sub boxes take over, also, one corner I couldnt go all the way to the floor anyways as there is an intake for my HVAC in that corner...RATS

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Check for a local distributor of the OC703. When I ordered 3 boxes, each containing 12 pieces of 2x2'x4' I was able to pay less than $250 for them.

James

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
That is where I ordered mine (spi-co) and they charged 25 dollars for delivery. I am not sure where the product was shipped from though so it may be a bit more for you. Call them up and ask if they deliver.

One thing to keep in mind is after they delivered them they had stated they were only supposed to deliver to a place of business, not a residential home. The only reason I found this out is I had to call them back since there truck took down some lines outside my house.

James

·
Premium Member
23,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/21269946

Check for a local distributor of the OC703. When I ordered 3 boxes, each containing 12 pieces of 2x2'x4' I was able to pay less than $250 for them.

James

yes; look for insulation distributors in your area

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Why not use rolls of normal fiberglass insulation, stacked up in the corner with a pole/rod through the middle to hold them in place? Wrap it in fabric and instead of having a triangle, you have a column.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/21272432

Why not use rolls of normal fiberglass insulation.

The coefficient of resistivity is not the same.

Type 700 is used in ceiling tiles, just strip away the plastic facing. It's only 5/8" or so thick, so you need to use layers, but it's readily available just about anywhere.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
bass corner traps with thin insulation board?

if i understand the physics of this, you have to be in the velocity zone of wave to absorb much of anything with bass traps--1/4 wavelength. at 40hz, that is about 6.5 feet out into the room, no?

?desufnoc

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Mineral wool also works well for superchunks - I used Roxul AFB, Safe N Sound is about the same I believe. It cuts easily with an electric carving knife ($15 at Target), stacks just like OC 703 so doesn't need any special support, and is usually cheaper.

Or just follow this guy and hope some of it falls off his truck:

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/21272593

bass corner traps with thin insulation board?

if i understand the physics of this, you have to be in the velocity zone of wave to absorb much of anything with bass traps--1/4 wavelength. at 40hz, that is about 6.5 feet out into the room, no?

?desufnoc

desufnoc? not sure what that means.

at 40hz yes, you would be right, but further into the passband of the sub, the upper bass and reflection of even frequencies from your mains will benefit from corner traps. why they are called bass traps in general im not sure, as they are obviously much more efficient at the upper freqs

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/21274727

why they are called bass traps in general im not sure, as they are obviously much more efficient at the upper freqs

+1. They should be called midbass traps, as that's as low as they're effective to. They're called bass traps as they help control boom, which is associated with bass, although actually sourced in the midbass.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
It's my understanding the thicker one attempts to DIY a bass trap, the more effective the less expensive pink fluffy variety becomes. With excessive thickness associated with a 703/705 based trap, one encounters a measure of reflectivity. That said, the less gas flow resistivity component one utilizes with the thicker traps, the more effective.

The bonus is the significant savings incurred.

So, if you've got a lot of space to work with, go cheap pink fluffy.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
space is something I WISH I had. the whole reason I went AT as I had no more room beside my screen to fit anything. and below the screen the f-20's still take up most of the floor space. would it be just as easy to take one of my 24x48x2" panels and caddy corner it in the corner? if it is close to as effective then why not?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It is a lot cheaper if you get it from the local dealer. Look under for heating & insulation or you can also find the local dealers from OC web site. Getting this online is a rip off.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
^^^

Yeah, it's all about the shipping.

Buy it local if at all possible, they receive it by the truckload,...you reap the benefit.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts