AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
When you call local insulation suppliers, don't ask for OC703, ask for 3lb/cu ft rigid insulation board. OC703 is just one brand name for a very common item made by

many different suppliers.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/21275295

It's my understanding the thicker one attempts to DIY a bass trap, the more effective the less expensive pink fluffy variety becomes. With excessive thickness associated with a 703/705 based trap, one encounters a measure of reflectivity. That said, the less gas flow resistivity component one utilizes with the thicker traps, the more effective.

The bonus is the significant savings incurred.

So, if you've got a lot of space to work with, go cheap pink fluffy.

Good luck

What's the thickness cutoff? I thought thicker == better for bass trapping?

I've got an air gap under my AT screen of about 14" high X 24" deep X 13 feet wide. Would I be better served stuffing that full of pink fluffy / denim or with a bunch of rigid fiberglass (OC 703 or similar).

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/21274689

that looks a lot more lumpy, is the stuff that guy has on the truck the same stuff you used?

Yes, the same (they pack it tight into the bundles, but when you unwrap it, it poofs back to shape) - its not as rigid as rigid fiberglas (OC 703 and the like), but more rigid than pink fluffy - rigid enough that you can stack floor to ceiling triangles and they stay put and don't overcompress.

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by APranger /forum/post/21277850

I've got an air gap under my AT screen of about 14" high X 24" deep X 13 feet wide. Would I be better served stuffing that full of pink fluffy / denim or with a bunch of rigid fiberglass (OC 703 or similar).

thicker is better, it gets your trap to handle lower frequencies the thicker you do it, but the density also matters, what he was saying is the pink stuff's not as dense as 703 or 705 so it would effectively need more to do the same as 703 would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/21278446

Yes, the same (they pack it tight into the bundles, but when you unwrap it, it poofs back to shape) - its not as rigid as rigid fiberglas (OC 703 and the like), but more rigid than pink fluffy - rigid enough that you can stack floor to ceiling triangles and they stay put and don't overcompress.

Thats a good looking trap! Ill dig around some more here in town, and if worse comes to worse, ill hit up atsacoustics, thats where I got my other panels from and they do a decent job on the shipping costs.

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APranger /forum/post/21277850

There are so many factors involved, there are no hard and fast rules. If you have more than the typical corner style amount of room to commit, than you'd save a significant amount of money, and have a similar, but perhaps a bit higher level of performance by employing a "fluffy" bass trap system. Either way, the performance is similar when encountering very thick traps, it's all about the savings incurred.

Don't get hung up in the minutia, bass trapping is the low hanging fruit ,..as it were. Go for it, whichever method you adhere to. 705 w/membrane, 703, pink fluffy,...bass trapping has the potential to dramatically tame the response in room.

Good luck

·
Registered
386 Posts
Locally I found an insulation distributor, paid $28 for 4 sheets of 2" thick OC703. If you didn't need so much I'd just send you my leftovers. Only thing about my distributor was that you had to spend at least $25.

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts /forum/post/21280980

Locally I found an insulation distributor, paid $28 for 4 sheets of 2" thick OC703. If you didn't need so much I'd just send you my leftovers. Only thing about my distributor was that you had to spend at least $25.

well id obviously do that with the amount I need, but thanks for the offer!

·
Registered
856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/21279881

that roxul they have is much cheaper than the OC703, is it's absorption coefficient the same? How about the atsacoustics brand?

I don't know about absorption coefficient. I know the stuff I bought was "supposedly" very comparable to the OC703... the same stuff that I linked you to. I will say that it did what I wanted it to building an 8 ft tall corner bass trap. I also bought some 4' x 2' wall panels. I will post pics if you're interested, and I believe ATS to be a brand that is honest and going about making a buck in the right way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Contact owens corning for a local distributor. Usually they don't sell for public but for the guys who work in ventilation or air conditionning systems.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Roxul AFB 4":

No code has to be inserted here.

OC 703 4"

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/21283069

Roxul AFB 4":

OC 703 4"

yep I saw that in the chart, ive expanded my search to include this as well, but as I said above, now im just looking at doing the whole front wall with 4inch panels. that outa prevent any reflections
right now I have some 2'x4' 2 inch thick panels behind the front stage, but they dont extend all the way to the corners.

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
ok so how about rear wall, its about 29 feet from front wall, doesnt have available corners as a hallway extends down one way, and a staircase up the other corner, so what do you think, do I need 2 inch or 4 inch panels on the walls there? How about down the hallway? Think that would have any benefit as there would be nothing more than possible a 3rd or 4th order reflection anyways?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I did the same as another poster.

All 4 corners of the room.

From what I was told you can compress different sections to absorb different frequencies.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm in CA and was wondering if anyone now's where to find a dealer out here thanks.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts