AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the digital connection low profile case as well as the DIGN powerbuy, 60mm exhaust fans are used. Does anyone know where quiet 60mm fans can be found? I'm using a panaflo on the cpu. The loudest component was the Radeon AIW fan, but I removed it and put a larger passive heatsink.

Thanks,

supernoman

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found those panaflo's as well. Directron is a little high priced when compared to the other places I've found. 24dB isn't bad.

·
Registered
757 Posts
 www.allelectronics.com has a 23 db 60 mm fan for $4.00. A Canon brand, I believe. I just ordered 3 of them to install inside my three rack mount sound amplifiers to keep'em cool. Do a look-see under fans on their web site and look for 12V 60mm. I am at work and can't remember the stock number.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Vantec one just may be what I'm looking for. Got to keep the HTPC as quiet as possible so the gf won't mind another computer in the house.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup - that Vantec is the quitest 60mm I've seen. I've got their 92mm.

I've got my HTPC very very quiet, but would love to hit *silent* someday :). Right now, my refrigerator in the other room drowns it out, as does my projector when its on. Under total silence, it can be heard if you try to, but even then only barely.

Here are some tips that helped me...

For a hard drive, look at the 24db Seagate Barracuda IV.

For 80mm fan's, I'm using 3 "PC Power & Cooling Silencer", better on paper than Panaflow and I found them locally. I use one 80mm for intake in the rear (I needed this for cooling - I wish I didn't). I replaced the 80mm fan that came with my Heat Sink/Fan Combo. I replaced the 80mm fan in my Enermax dual fan power supply (in addition to the quiter fan itself, this PS has a knob to adjust the speed of the 80mm fan).

The Enermax power supply also has a 92mm fan, which is pretty loud (for a PS marketed as "quiet"). I replaced this 92mm with that Vantec (20db) and replaced its heat sensor with a manual knob (this may have been overkill as the fan is very quiet and is not directly exposed to the outside).

I also lined my HTPC's case with 'Dynamat Xtreme' insulation. It's used on doors and trunks of automobiles to insulate them from road noise to improve the performance of the stereo system. It elimintes a lot of vibration found in the light metal of our HTPC cases. I noticed a significant improvement - it completely eliminated ANY remaining noise from my Barracuda HD.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have been experiencing quite a bit with making my HTPC near silent and made a "breakthrough" this weekend: My Enermax 'whisperquiet' dual fan PS was everything but quiet. I located the problem to the "exhaust fan" creating some turbulence (the fan itself is pretty quiet, and a PC P&C Silencer fan didn't help much)... The only good solution I have found so far is to remove the larger 92mm fan and power the exhaust fan with 7V instead of 12V. The motherboard and Proc. temperatures increase by a few degrees, but my HTPC is now much quieter

-FL

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmccloud

I've got my HTPC very very quiet, but would love to hit *silent* someday :). Right now, my refrigerator in the other room drowns it out, as does my projector when its on. Under total silence, it can be heard if you try to, but even then only barely.
FWIW, a quite HTPC should be less than 28dba.

If you have a sound meter (like the radioshack analog one), set the scale to the 'A' weighting. That measures from 500-10,000 Hz range, which is the area of greatest sensitivity to the human ear (basically room noise, etc.)

A "quiet room" is around 28dba. So, if you can get your HTPC to below 28dba, then you've got a damn quiet PC for sure.

gluck,

-anders.

Edit: now that I look at my meter, the ratshack analog one only goes as low as 50.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My vantec 60mm should be in today. The silencer fans are actually louder than the panaflo's I'm using. I tried them both on my Alpha P4 cooler and the panaflo sounded quieter. When the refrigerator is going though, I can't hear the HTPC as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
check out Papst fans. the best performace you'll get from a quiet fan. I have a 80mm and it is only 12 dBA.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zielin
check out Papst fans. the best performace you'll get from a quiet fan. I have a 80mm and it is only 12 dBA.
Do you know of a good source? I can never seem to find these and when I do, they're top dollar (ie. from electronics jobbers- catering to the industry instead of the home user)

·
Registered
987 Posts
oh, www.plycon.com is a good stop for PC cooling. (no, i have nothing to do with them)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mistake...I'm using the papst from Plycon in fact. Quietest 80mm fan I've used. I've ordered many items from them without any problems. I bought most of my alpha coolers there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.