AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to increase length of pause buffer to no avail - registry changes are reset when WMC starts. (removing permissions causes WMC to not be available since it is already being used.)

I don't think this is the right forum to pose Windows Registry questions, however, I'm hoping someone can point me to a good forum that is.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have VM set to automatic.

What is weird is that I repeatedly tried increasing the registry key to lengthen the buffer file but every time I restarted and ran WMC, it was set back to the original value.

Then I reset it and then disabled all the permissions for that key except for me.

WMC then would not work saying something like another "something" was running it and it was not available.

So I put the permissions back and guess what? the change took.

I have to confirm it yet, but the value of 1800 (instead of 300) is now set.

I'll update status as soon as I can test it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is working but I really need some kind of WMC manual - like how Live Pause is supposed to work?

It seems like at the end of a program, the paused buffer is converted into a recorded program while the buffer moves on to the next program.

But the registry mod did stick.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes! That was the primary link that I followed.

I kept changing BackingStoreEachFileDurationSeconds from 300 to 1800 and it wouldn't stay changed when I restarted my PC and started WMC.

Then I found another link that suggested that WMC would set these keys every time it started. So they recommended removing the permissions for that key.

I did that and WMC would then not start.

So I reinstated the permissions and then found that the 1800 had stuck.

Perhaps removing the permissions allowed it to stick.

Don't know!

Now I have to figure out how Pause Live TV actually works. It seems like when the end of a program is reached, it "stores" that program as a Recorded Program while the buffer continues into the next program.

At least that is what I'm trying to "demonstrate." But I keep jumping around from Live, to Netflix via BluRay player, to internet streaming that I haven't been able to spend the time on Live TV to see if it does in fact work.

Thanks for the link.

I'm not a fan of VISTA but including WMC was a nice thing. And actually a HTPC can really stay frozen in time and be completely removed from the internet if dedicated. If XP came with WMC, there'd be XP running until the Sun exploded (!) HaHa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.