AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I ordered a Harmony 520 remote not knowing that they don't come with a IR receiver. I want to use this with media portal on my HTPC. So does anyone use this remote with their HTPC. And what IR receiver are you using.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone use a Harmony on there PC/MeidaPortal/MediaCenter


I have a 360 receiver for windows. And I got the 360 controller to work in mediaportal. You can just select 360 controller. So I am thinking that the Harmony 520 will work with this because it supports the 360. So then it should act like a controller with the 360 Wireless Receiver for windows. At least I am hoping. If anyone is using a Harmony Remote for media portal can you please tell me how you are doing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/16966811


the xbox remote is infrared, the 360 controller is proprietary RF.


Really, any "eHome" receiver for Media Center will work. the market is literally flooded with them.

So you don't think it will work. The Xbox 360 is in the Harmony 520 database, so is media portal.


So something like this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-USB-IR-Receiv...d=p3286.c0.m14
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,044 Posts
The Harmony should work with the MCE IR receiver as well as the USB-UIRT, among others. It's mostly a matter of which front-end app works with what receivers rather than the remote itself. I personally use the USB-UIRT and a Harmony 880 with EventGhost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just called Logitech and asked them and they said it will work with PC using the 360 wireless receiver for windows. They just said when you set it up just search for the 360 in the data base. Then just setup how you want it to work. So I guess we will see when it gets here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,693 Posts
I have the MCE IR and remote. Then I just told my harmony it would be controlling a Media Center PC and that was it. Works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenac /forum/post/16966952


Just called Logitech and asked them and they said it will work with PC using the 360 wireless receiver for windows. They just said when you set it up just search for the 360 in the data base. Then just setup how you want it to work. So I guess we will see when it gets here.


Sorry, but they're wrong. The 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows does not have an IR port. It will not work with ANY IR remote. I have the wireless Receiver and a Harmony remote.


The HP receiver you listed is Media Center compliant and will work with a Harmony, though. You'll just have to map the Media Center codes to the Harmony (which I'm sure is easy enough as I'm 99.9% sure you'll find something in the Harmony database).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/16967632


Sorry, but they're wrong. The 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows does not have an IR port. It will not work with ANY IR remote. I have the wireless Receiver and a Harmony remote.


The HP receiver you listed is Media Center compliant and will work with a Harmony, though. You'll just have to map the Media Center codes to the Harmony (which I'm sure is easy enough as I'm 99.9% sure you'll find something in the Harmony database).


Yea there is a Media Portal in the Database under Media Center PC I guess it just maps everything like the MCE Remote. Ok I guess I will just order that off ebay and try my luck I think it was cheap anyway. Unless someone can find a link to one. The one on ebay is from china
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Does anyone know of an INTERNAL IR receiver for use with media center? I recently picked up a vintage wood radio that I am going to convert into a discrete HTPC. I'd like something that can connect to one of the on-board USB headers that I can mount inside the "case". I guess I could modify one of the external receivers, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaytse66 /forum/post/16974356


Does anyone know of an INTERNAL IR receiver for use with media center? I recently picked up a vintage wood radio that I am going to convert into a discrete HTPC. I'd like something that can connect to one of the on-board USB headers that I can mount inside the "case". I guess I could modify one of the external receivers, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Yes, some cases, like mine, come with an adapter for the USB header that makes it a standard USB port.

It allows me disassemble my MCE IR receiver and even provides a location to mount the innards. All seamlessly inside the case.


All this came with the case though. But the parts exist. I would think someone would sell them separately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaytse66 /forum/post/16974356


Does anyone know of an INTERNAL IR receiver for use with media center? I recently picked up a vintage wood radio that I am going to convert into a discrete HTPC. I'd like something that can connect to one of the on-board USB headers that I can mount inside the "case". I guess I could modify one of the external receivers, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

what do you mean by internal? onboard? if so, since your building the case there would be little difference between an onboard ir port and using a usb. for both the receiver will need to be brought to the front of the radio box.


if you mean one that does not need to be visible and be internal of the case... its ir, it needs to be visibly seen. if you want to hid it, you would need to goto rf or bt (wireless). i *think* some of the harmony remotes are rf. the dinovo keyboards are bt.


could use an itouch/iphone as a remote which goes over your network. abit, it has some bugs (biggest one is it won't work if your installing software, butonce its all set up, your fine). works pretty damn niffty for only 3 bux at the app store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/16974405


i *think* some of the harmony remotes are rf.

RF universal remotes do not learn and are not compatible with other RF signals. They only use RF to communicate with RF to IR extenders. The Harmony 890 uses RF to tell the RF extender to send out IR via emitters or the flasher in the base.


If you want a 100% internal IR receiver then you will need some sort of IR repeater to connect to the internal receiver's IR port. Using the Harmony 890 as an example you would just run an IR emitter from the RF extender into the back of your PC case and connect it to your internal IR receiver.


A great internal IR receiver would be the Tira 2.1 OEM http://www.home-electro.com/tira2.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/16974405


what do you mean by internal? onboard? if so, since your building the case there would be little difference between an onboard ir port and using a usb. for both the receiver will need to be brought to the front of the radio box.

I'm looking for something I can mount somewhere on the inside of the case (towards the front so it can be "seen" by the remote) but that I can just connect to the USB header instead of the actual external USB ports. I'm basically trying to reduce clutter outside the case.


I think I have a USB bracket that came with an old motherboard. It basically provides two additional USB ports by connecting to the on-board header and mounting to an expansion slot on the case. I could probably take that apart and connect an external receiver to it, yet mount everything on the inside of the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
My case had a window so I mounted a Tira2 behind the window and use EventGhost to accept the commands and control the devices. If you want to know I can look up the Device I used for the Harmony - there are a ton of simple remote codes on this device to use for hard and soft buttons.

http://www.home-electro.com/tira2.php


If you plan on using media center then take apart a official MCE remote receiver and make it fit inside the case. There are some commands on the MCE remoe that can't be keyboard emulated.


Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 /forum/post/16968574


Google "Dealextreme" and then type "mce remote" into their search bar. Cheap and free postage.

I found a remote for less than $10 at dealextreme dot com slash details.dx slash sku.14380


I already have a Harmony remote so I just want the IR receiver for my PC. Can I use the IR receiver from this remote? Are all IR receivers equal?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top