Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had my replay for almost two months now, and love it. It's been working fine until last week. But I've started having problems with my IR Blaster cable. Don't know why it's happened, but for some reason, the IR Blaster will only work when the cable connecting the emitter that's stuck to the front of the cable box is making a huge loop in front of the cable box. I spent a lot of time playing with it, and it's not an emitter placement issue, it's purely a cable problem. The cable needs to be at a certain angle for the emitter to work. The wierd thing is that this happened to both emitters, but with different angles needed by the cables for their respective emitters. This wouldn't be a problem, except the angles necessary for these things to work creates a huge loop of cable to the floor on the front of my entertainment center.

Anyway, to make a long story short I'm looking to replace the cable, and can't seem to find it anywhere. I've tried my 5 local Radio Shacks, as well as Fry's, Best Buy, Good Guys and Circuit City. Most of the people I talk to don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I have to describe it to them, but with no luck. So can anyone suggest a place that has a replacement IR blaster cable? I've seen some people saying that they built their own, but for something this simple I don't want to purchase the tools necessary.

I would really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can get a generic IR Blaster for $5.59, including shipping, from this online store . Their price is a very low $0.09, plus $5.50 shipping. :) I would suggest ordering at least two; they will only be $3 each including shipping.

Otherwise, there are a number of them on sale on ebay; search for irblaster or ir blaster . (Actually, maybe order ten or twenty of them from that first link, and then go and sell them on ebay.)

As far as I know, they are all compatible with one another, but buyer beware if it doesn't mention ReplayTV in the description. :) Someone else here may have had experience using various brands (personally I haven't however). You may be able to determine with just a little bit of research if these are all just the same product being sold with various descriptions.

Jim

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just used one of the IR Blasters offered at the site mentioned above (I purchased several from compgeeks a while back) and they worked fine on a 3060 I was hooking up for a friend. They are larger than the ones that ship with the Replay and we needed to tape them down to hold on in place, but they did work fine (controlling a Pioneer Digital box). I also tested them out on a General INstruments box at my house before bringing it over for the install, and my feeling is if it works on one cable box, then the thing will work with any that the original one would work with.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'm just comparing the two sites and what's the difference between the two? One has the emitter for $.09 and the other has it for $5.99.

Also, what's the use of having the dual head emitter? I can understand you can use it to power two different devices, but there's no way to control what signals are sent to which emitter. I don't get it?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Well, if you have some sort of setup that sends commands to say, a VCR and a cable box, you can use just one emitter for that. The VCR will just ignore the cable box codes, and vice versa..

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by phone1
They're also available from smarthome.com:

http://www.smarthome.com/8170.html
I bought one from smarthome and it worked great. Just be aware that the s/h will cost as much as the IR blaster (about $10 total)

--MS

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joesc1
Thanks for the tips. I'm just comparing the two sites and what's the difference between the two? One has the emitter for $.09 and the other has it for $5.99.
Since it is simply a 1/8" mono headphone plug ($0.03), six feet of thin wire ($0.01), an infrared diode ($0.02), and some plastic ($0.03), I'd say the $0.09 price is more reasonable. Now, if it also took out the garbage and fed the cat, then I'd start thinking in the $5 to $6 range. ;)

Jim

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MinnesotaJim
Since it is simply a 1/8" mono headphone plug ($0.03), six feet of thin wire ($0.01), an infrared diode ($0.02), and some plastic ($0.03), I'd say the $0.09 price is more reasonable. Now, if it also took out the garbage and fed the cat, then I'd start thinking in the $5 to $6 range. ;)

Jim
Now, going by that reasoning, a current Replay should sell for $27.35 and a cookie :D:D:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.