AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and looked through the threads, but I couldn't find a current link for a full lamp with bulb that is original to what is in the BenQ 1080st that I own.

There was at least 6500 hours on it when the bulb exploded.

I'm looking for an original even though it will cost a bit more.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...1070-W1080ST-180Day-warranty/32268238970.html

Reading the review, this is not original. And how fast would it get to me in Minnesota?

Amazon seems like a crapshoot. Anyone there to trust that can overnight the lamp?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Amazon is very hit or miss with lamps...

The W1070 and W1080 use the same lamp. If you want cheap, you could check the W1070 Bare Bulb Replacement thread for some hands-on experience, here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...lb-replacemnet-benq-w1070-2.html#post28383393

Some positive feedback on cheap original (if not official) bulbs there.
Though with a typical real-world life of 4500+ hours (and regular reports like yours of over 6000+ hours - what lamp mode were you running?), I feel like you're right to be interested in an original - in which case you could order an official original lamp-with-housing straight from BenQ or Provantage.

Here's an original:
http://www.provantage.com/benq-5j-j7l05-001~7BEN906E.htm

Double the price of a bare bulb, but to me it'd be worth it.

Reactions: Arcadia88

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Most of the sites which sell the projectors also are able to deliver manufacturer original replacement lamps...

http://www.projectorpeople.com/BenQ-Replacement-Lamp/Accessory/27780

There is far to much in the way of deceptive business practices IMO with etailers who aren't up front with 'compatible' models vs. manufacturer original. It's a real shame that they don't just say that they are or are not selling a branded original lamp.

Almost worse is when they are selling manufacturer original lamps and they don't 'brag' on that fact to let people know that the premium they are paying is for something which carries the manufacturer's logo on it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much guys, you verified what I found in looking around the last 2.5 days. Pretty frustrating AV as you pointed out, not knowing what is what etc. Hearing these other lamps lasting 1500-2500 hours scares me away. I'll pay a little more for the right part, it's worth it.

I can overnight the one from Provantage in the morning thanks to kreeturez, and that's what I plan to do.

Thanks again.

P.S. It's not as easy as they make it sound to replace the bulb. Especially for someone with big hands. 😉

·
Registered
421 Posts
I ordered one from Amazon recently. I was scared I would only be shipped a bulb and not the entire lamp. But I was sent what looks like a proper complete lamp. New lamp is working great so far.
My old bulb that came with the projector only made it around 1800 hours before it went POP. But I think I was driving the projector more than normal. Lots of 3d movies and games.
I'm thinking about just ordering another one from that Provantage site above and using the Amazon as a backup.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My old bulb that came with the projector only made it around 1800 hours before it went POP. But I think I was driving the projector more than normal. Lots of 3d movies and games.

That's low; you're one of the few reports I've seen of such low lamp life. I'm guessing you were running it in 'Normal'? (Even then, I'd have expected more). Many of the reports around here of high lamp life actually come from relatively heavy users (that's how you get 6000 hours from a sub-2-year-old projector! :) )
I guess lamps classify as a consumable that's a bit unpredictable like this - which is why lamp warranties are normally for only a few hundred hours and/or 6 months of time (whichever comes first). Here's to longer life from your next one!

I can overnight the one from Provantage in the morning thanks to kreeturez, and that's what I plan to do.

Thanks again.

No problem. You won't go wrong; I've had good dealings with those guys in the past.
What lamp mode did you achieve your high lamp life (6500 hours) in?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will the usage hours still be there after the lamp is replaced, or will it reset? I'm definitely a heavy user, 10-12 hours a day and I purchased October 2014. I'm very curious to know how long it lasted now.

That's a good idea Arcadia, then have the current one for back up. I may do something similar.

My new lamp should be here tomorrow.
HTML:

·
Registered
421 Posts
That's low; you're one of the few reports I've seen of such low lamp life. I'm guessing you were running it in 'Normal'? (Even then, I'd have expected more).
I was in smart eco but we spent a lot of time in 3d which runs the projector in full bright mode even in smart eco. But I'm almost sure the main reason for my low lamp life was a bunch of small flying nats got in early on. I did my best to remove them but they were even in the lamp itself.
The projector needs a filter. I thought about simpy draping a filter on the input but don't want to block any airflow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.