AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around and found a number of places where I can buy them but does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DVI is great for length. My problem is that I'll be utilizing both the DVI and VGA inputs I believe, with the VGA input, I have to worry about distance. I was actually thinking about putting all of the equipment in a rack in the basement and running cables up from there. But with the VGA distance limitation, will probably not go that route. Besides it's fun to look at all of the toys.:D

·
Registered
925 Posts
the conventional wisdom is that any DVI cable beyond 5M is a risk. make sure your vendor will warrant a return if it doesn't work. the DVI spec makes no explicit mention of length, but physics happens as you lengthen a cable carrying huge bandwidth. some people haven't had problems - others have. you might want to search the archives.

you can get the optical transceiver'd DVI cables for much less than what cclear quoted. try the good people at http://www.cellarcinemas.com/ . that's where mine came from.

if you're within the "standard" lengths, all the cables should be about the same - it's just 1s and 0s - either they get there or they don't. though some might disagree with me ;-)

doody

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.