AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I went to monoprice to order banana plugs and speaker wire but they are out of banana plugs! I really want to order it from the same spot and get it all at once. where else should I look. I really like monoprices price on this stuff so I would want to keep it as close to their price and quality as possible

T

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
they are not out of ALL there banana plug items, and the ones that they are have an eta of 1/17 (today). I'm sure if you place your order you will get them pretty soon.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As mentioned, monoprice is showing the banana plugs should be in very shortly. I just used a few of their solder type banana plugs w/o solder and I'm very happy with them. There's some directions for using them without solder and it works quite well and looks pretty clean. I'd wait for them to come in stock, considering the price and quality. I used their 16AWG wire, which is also a bargain.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryw /forum/post/12851990

As mentioned, monoprice is showing the banana plugs should be in very shortly. I just used a few of their solder type banana plugs w/o solder and I'm very happy with them. There's some directions for using them without solder and it works quite well and looks pretty clean. I'd wait for them to come in stock, considering the price and quality. I used their 16AWG wire, which is also a bargain.

Im using the same banana plugs and 16AWG wire. I would highly recommend it for the price. I ran out of monoprice speaker wire and decided to go to my local home depot to pay more than double for a lower quality speaker cable. Keep in mind you need 2 sets for each speaker (one for speaker side and one for receiver/amp).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Extremely happy with the Monoprice plugs - I ordered the double and single solderless types. They work great. Best price anywhere, too. Bought my wire from Lowes - I think a 100' spool of 14ga was like $20.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Home Depot

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1966 /forum/post/12856837

Home Depot

You can buy your wire from Home Depot, though the same spool is $10 cheaper at Lowes, but DO NOT buy your banana plugs there - they are at least 6 to 8 times as expensive as Monoprice, and significantly lower quality.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
HD's banana plugs are more expensive, but not less quality than monoprice. Last weekend I saw some nice ones for $6/pair and they are better than monoprice. They look similar but are screw types.

·
Registered
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speqtre /forum/post/12857977

You can buy your wire from Home Depot, though the same spool is $10 cheaper at Lowes, but DO NOT buy your banana plugs there - they are at least 6 to 8 times as expensive as Monoprice, and significantly lower quality.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100606209

So,....the ones from Monoprice are about $0.70 cents a pair??

These do look pretty cheap, but that's what the title of the thread requested.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought the screw type banana plugs and 14awg wire from monoprice and was very impressed with the quality and shipping that I recieved. Would deffinately go through them again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm having an issue with the plugs I bought from monoprice (these ones: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 )

I insert the wire, fold over the individual wires around the collar, and thread that into the barrel. Once it's on though I can "spin" the wire inside the plug and hear the wire bristles rotating around the barrel - I can't seem to get a tight fit!

am I doing something wrong?

I made sure the wires are not covering the threads, but beyond that what can I do?

·
Registered
399 Posts
solder them in place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
what guage wire are you using with those banana plugs? i bought them along with a roll of 14 gauge and i guess i was expecting a beefier wire to need that kind of connection.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm using 14ga wire from monoprice. The wire fits through the barrel of the plug just fine, and I feather the strands out pretty evenly around the rim, but it still spins around in there if I twist the wire...

Not entirely happy with these, but at least they didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm not a fan of soldering, so I went to the local shop where I got my speakers and picked up a bag of tributaries plugs - the kind that have two set screws. I got some (obviously not enough) when I picked up the speakers, but then decided to run my fronts biamped, so I needed a few more pairs.

bummer that I couldn't get the monoprice ones to work as the tributaries are around 5x more expensive...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts