AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 years and continuing the upgrade path I am wondering what to do now to improve my system? The system consists of: Tosh TW40X81 ISF calibrated twice. Lexicon MC-1 pre/pro, Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 channel amp plus Parasound 2003a. Von Schweikert VR3.5's L&R, LCR30 center , TS350 surrounds (4), Paradigm Servo 15a sub and Von Schweikert S/3 sub. Equalized by BFD. Analysis plus cabeling for speakers, CAt sub cables. Panasonic RP91 DVd player. Pioneer CD player, JVC S-3500u VCR. Dish 6000 reciever. Vansevers Model 85 conditioner all on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The room does not lend its self to a Front Projector so this is out of the question. I am veryhappy with the performance and for the last year have not thought about upgrading. Just enjoying the system but X-mas is here. What would the experts reccomend? The room is 17x28.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I am in the same boat and feel I need a Christmas treat / change-up too.

From your system, I think ( know ) your MC-1 is a weak link if you rely on it for heavy 2-channel listening.

I have only superlative comments on my previous Lexicon MC-1 processor, that I shipped out this afternoon to its new owner. So I am processor-less and will probably try a Bryston SP-1.7 next.

I was also really impressed at the improvements when I recently upgraded from my PS Audio P600 Powerplant to a Shunyata Hydra PLC.

- Andy

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think a 2-channel preamp would be a good addition, if you care about 2-channel listening at all. Otherwise, the main addition I could see would be a bigger, better TV. A MC-12 with additional subs, or a whole upgrade on all your speakers is always a possibility too if you really want to spend some money.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My first choice would be to upgrade your center channel speaker. While the LCR-30 is a fine center, it isn't timbre-matched to the VR-3.5's. They use different midrange drivers & different tweeters. The LCR-35 is a much better match, it uses the same 5.5" woofer and 4" aerogel composite midrange as the VR3.5 . You may well be able to sell the LCR-30 for around $800. So this upgrade wouldn't set you back a big bundle.

Or, as suggested above, you could upgrade all the speakers. The VR-3.5's are very good, but the VR-4 Gen III (and especially the SE version) is excellent. Depends upon how much you want to spend.

Tom B.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom.

There is a mistake in my first post. I have the LCR35. The GEn IV's are a great speak, just to large for the SAF.

Merry X-mas,

Steve

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you're just looking for a little toy, I don't see that you have an SACD player. Would that interest you?

You have a nice sized room but said a projection tv isn't a good fit. How about a new, but larger RPTV? Or a plasma?

If you're dying to spend money, how about a new car?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Steve,

Well, excellent choice with the LCR35 then!

My thoughts would be:

- As others have suggested, a larger, more-top-of-line TV. If it can' t be too large, then the smallest Pioneer Elite, or perhaps a 51" Hitachi. I wouldn't go for the plasma yet, unless you have dollars to burn. That technology will get much cheaper and better over the next 2-3 years.

- A better DVD player. The Panny RP91 is good. But there are better, and those with higher-end DVD-A and/or SACD. Although the quality of the picture of your calibrated 40" is probably already quite good and the DVD-A section of that player is also good. But neither are state-of-the-art and you are looking for something to upgrade.

- Save money for the upcoming Dish 921 receiver, due out in the latter half of 2003. May cost $1200-1500 (maybe more). It will record HD material. Plus, you look like you are in need of the functionality that a PVR offers. Much nicer than having only a S-VHS deck.

- Consider adding a D-Theater recorder.

Tom B.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like a bigger RPTV is in order. What Hitachi would you reccomend I see the SGHT mag editors pick was the 51SWX20B. This would be a great addition. What is street price on these? This means I'd have to bring Louis Carliner in to do his magic so I have to add $500 to the cost of the unit. I live in a very small town so everything I have is done over the net. Where do I look for the Hitachi on the web? Tell me more about the new Dish receiver.

Merry X-mas,

Steve

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Yes, the 51SWX20B is very nice. Cost is around $2500. This isn't Hitachi's best line, but I'm not certain the top lines are offered in the 51" size. The 57" is more popular. Check out the RPTV section on this forum for lots of info on the Hitachi & Pioneer and new Sony sets. I saw one of these 51" Hits and I was very impressed.

The Dish 921 will be Dish's top of the line HD receiver. The current expected spec list includes a 250GB hard drive, for recording both SD and HD programs, two tuners (so you can watch one program while recording another), IEEE1394/DVI/component outputs, & more. With this, if Dish is airing a HD movie you'd like to catch on HBO-HD but you're out that evening, then you can record it in full HD video & DD audio (a la Tivo). Again, there is a forum here on AVS that discusses Dish and Direct TV PVRs ... just keep scrolling down past this forum until you find it.

Tom B.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
How about a Perpetual Technology P3-A DAC?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.