AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my Parasound 2205a. What would give me an increase in performance without out spending thousands more?Speakers are Von Schweikert VR3.5's/LCR35/TS350's/S/3 sub and Paradigm Servo 15a.Pre/pro is Lexicon MC-1.Currently using the Parasound 2003a to drive front 3 channels, the 2205a drive the rest. Thanks for helping with suggestions. I was considering the EAD 2000pm but will it give me 2k performance over the Parasound?

Thanks,

Steve M.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think you should put your money elsewhere. I've run double-blind tests with Parasound amps vs $5K+ amps from Krell and Bryston. The tests were using Von Schweikert VR-4 speakers. None of the four participants could tell any difference at all. We all failed miserably to tell them apart during the comparisons.

Now it is very possible that you'll perceive you hear a big difference and the end result will be that you'll think the upgrade was worth it. All four of us thought we heard significant differences before we put them to the double blind test. The guy who owned the Krell was very bummed out when he failed to pass.

I participated in another comparison, which we all thought was going to be a terrible mismatch: A mid-line Rotel vs a very expensive Pass amp that had garnered tremendous reviews. Using high-end Sonus Faber speakers, in the high-end listening room of an audiophile shop, all of us (including the shop owner) failed to pass. We had actually selected these two amps in order to make it easy to pass, or so we had thought.

There may be differences between amps. Certainly I have not seen enough evidence to prove there is no difference. However the differences between very good quality solidstate amps seems to be extremely minor. Very little ROI once you get above a very good quality, reliable, stable amp with sufficient power to meet your needs.

Tom B.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've put the Parasound stuff vs. and even lower end product like the Carver AV-705x and couldn't hear the difference. I really like the 705 and you can probably find it for like 600 bucks or so!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree with Tom. I have heard the Parasounds with a a/b switch but did not know what was what against the Bryston and Lexicon and others. I either picked the Parasound or couldnt tell the difference. I really like the Parasounds with M&K speakers. They soften the M&K just enough.

Parasounds new amps etc are very stunning looking!! go to their web site.

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe there are justifiable differences in spending more for better amps, primarily in pursuit of music playback. I have a Classe Omicron driving my mains, and a Parasound 2205AT driving my center and surrounds. The Parasound on music is a bit darker, more sterile and mechanical sounding, not as refined, yet on HT material it works fine with the Classe. I don't sense I'm missing anything. Prior to the Classe/Parasound setup I was running Brystons for all channels. Depending on what your using for mains and what your preference for music vs. HT is I would look at replacing the 2003 instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.