Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All Quick Question

I am having my new home wired up with CAT5 throughout the house and Theater. Originally I asked the builder to locate the main HUB in the office thinking that might be beneficial in some way? Now second guessing my self, will that just be ugly for no reason? Is there ANY benefit of having ir right in the office where the Desktops will be? Does it make any difference at all if I have them install the HUB in the utility room like more people do?

thanks and sorry for the stupid question

jerry

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just make sure he doesn't run it beside any electrical wiring. Also make sure there are no runs longer then 100M. If you can do that then I would move it out of the way.

I posted 300 meter before but thats wrong its 100

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok sorry, so you mean its better to have it in the office or in the utility? In a striaght line they are about 25' apart, but if you have to go through the interior the office is on one side and the utility on the other side of the house with the foyer, dinning, hallways...etc in between and maybe 75' to 100' away.

I dont know if that helps...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
A hub is simply a splitter. No reason not to have one in the office if you need two ethernet connections there. But putting one in the office is not a good way to wire the rest of the house.

For your own sanity and that of the next owner, use a star distribution system like they did for the electrical. All wiring in the house comes back to a central point - in the case of the electrical, your breaker panel. (If the system is very complex or the house very big, you can establish a second distribution point.) The best place is where the signal enters the house. Yes, that means long nearly-parallel runs to the farther rooms, but on a digital network you lose no performance and cat5 is cheap. 100' run for ethernet is no problem at all.

Also, DO NOT front the internal network with a hub. Not unless you want every cracker in Russia waltzing over your hard drives. Use a gateway router at the very least. Most have switches or hubs built in.

When wiring the house, be aware that ethernet is electrically noisy. Don't run it near audio or video lines.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It will just be ugly for no reason. There is no benefit in having it close to the computer. Mount it in a closet or utility room. I ran all my home network lines to the theater equipment closet. And like DMF said, use a gateway router between the internet connection and your house network.

·
Registered
807 Posts
When I ran wiring in my previous house I put in two Cat5e cables to every room, all coming together in an equipment closet. The closet happened to be in my office, but it could have been anywhere (from the closet there were also two lines to outlets in the office itself).

We just moved to another house and I'll be running Cat6 this time. The plan is to again run two cables to every room I can reach without completely demo'ing walls, and have it all come together in the basement utility room. The Internet feed will be there as well, so I can neatly put the Internet modem (fixed-base wireless), router/firewall, and gigabit hub together at the same place. I've bought a cheap metal rack, on wheels, from Costco to house this plus one or two servers. As an added bonus, the basement equipment room is always cool, good for electronics and getting rid of excess heat won't be a problem.

-Rob-

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The only benefit in having it in the office is you can easily make changes to your network setup that way. I put mine in the main a/v closet downstairs. I have between 2-3 cat 5e and 2-3 rg6 coax cable to every room in the house, so it's a lot of cables. no way I'd want that in my office.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys thank you very much for all the replies. Sounds like the utility is the place to put it..

·
Registered
825 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Just remember to prvide for your WAN. So there needs to be some RG-6 for cable or another RJ-45 running two wire for dsl or just RJ-22.

Otherwise one of your rooms, wherever the modem will be, will need two rj-45 wall jacks one for down, the other for up.

Seth

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i am totaly lost now. What is a WAN and what is RJ-22? Sorry

This is all new to me. I currently have a Decktop PC and DSL. i just last weekend bought a wireless super G router and card for my work laptop and love it. My thoughts for the CAT5 in the house is to be future proff for Tivo and DirectTV. The idea being to send a program from one unit to another. Also in more product being able to connect to the internet or even send files from a PC to a media server to transer pictures and such.

I figue for the $600 to have 7 CAT5 outlets and the HUB it worth it. but if there is more to thins that I am missing let me know...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
WHAA?? $600 for a hub (a $20 item), some cable, terminations and wallplates? Oh! You mean installed?

Yes, there is something that you're missing. You don't just connect to the Internet like you connect your water supply to the meter. The Internet is a sewer, not a water supply. You need a filtration plant between you and it. Thus the gateway router. Something like this. (Note the built-in switch (functionally like a hub).)

What is your installer proposing to use?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes installed. I am haveing a Custom Home buit and my builder gave me the option for CAT5. $250 for the HUB and $50 per outlet. 7 Outlets one each in the Family, Living, Office, Theater, Master, Bedroom 2, and Bedroom 3.

now the wireless router I bought is THIS .

Will that work. SO I will have my DSL modem in the HUB conected to the Linksys router? Like I said i am all new to this. My plan is to have the house wired for DSL. The place a wireless router in the middle of my home to feed eveything. If I need to buy a new router no nig deal. if I need to buy some other peice of equipment no big deal, as long as its not in the Thousands of dollars.

My main goal is to be connected anywhwre in the home but even more important to later be able to transfer tivo from one room to another. i hate having to stop part way in a program. I wish I could start in one room then say lay in bed and finish it there.. I know my D* HD Tivo cant do that yet but maybe this new Home Media center will be able too??

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Sorry, I fail to see the point in a wireless router in your application. You're pulling cable, right? So what is the use of wireless other than to give the neighbor kids access to your network?

As for your aspirations of piping digital content around the house, the content providers are dead set on not letting that happen - certainly not in HD. (Once it can get onto your local network, it can get onto the internet.) You'd be better off running component cable between rooms; you'll actually be able to use it.

Btw, "hub" has a technical meaning. You do NOT have a hub. You have (will have) a router with a built-in switch.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
Sorry, I fail to see the point in a wireless router in your application. You're pulling cable, right? So what is the use of wireless other than to give the neighbor kids access to your network?
May be for a laptop ?

Horta,

Search and read about structured wiring and understand the concept, options etc. Run as many cables to as many rooms as possible. Then run some more ... lot of people even run fiber optics. Things change so fast you never know what you may need 5 years down the line ... let alone ten.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
A laptop without an ethernet or USB port?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I use the Wi-Fi connection on my notebook in bed sometimes or outdoors. I don't do all my work at my desk.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Who wants to plug in everytime they use a laptop? The idea behind a laptop is portability and a wireless router sure adds to that.

And you can protect your wireless connection with passwords so other people can't use it.

I think by "hub" that maybe he means the builder is putting in a structured wire enclosure. That's the only way I can see a home builder putting in a hub costing $250.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey all Yes the wireless if for the Laptop. Yes we will have an office with two desktops, but we have now a laptop and realy enjoy being able to surf anywere in the house. I have a 10' custom wood bar with two TV in the formal. On sundays the wife reads the papaer and will have one tv with FoodTV and I will have the other with whatever, and now we have the laptop surfing. yes its overload but its fun.

Hmm as far as not being able to send programs from one tivo to the other I thought that is doable right now. No not with HD but regular TV. I know they have a new device coming out calle the Home Media center and supposidly you can send MP3s, JPGs, and transfer programs from one tivo or "DVR" to another. This was announced from DirecTV if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
A laptop without an ethernet or USB port?
Using a laptop with an ethernet / usb cable is now passe :D

Horta,

I would suggest at least 6 ports in each room (3 ethernet, 3 rg6). Ethernet cable can also be used for phone.

Normally the structured wiring enclosure is put in the utility room ... since it will look out of place in an office. You could put a switch (or a hub) in the enclosure to make a home network. Wireless router is better put in a more open area for better signal strength.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.