AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best distance for rear speakers to be away from the last row of seats to get the best surround effect in a 7.1 system. Is 5 feet back too far, not far enough....I know you can do it right behind the last row of seats but thats not optimal...I can either mount my rears on the rear wall, 5 feet away from the last row of seats, place columns 2-3 ft away from back row of seats and put the speakers in them or use inceiling bi/dipoles. Whats my best bet? I'll be using Triads if this makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You can get good results with any of those options. Personally, I'd go with mounting them on the rear wall. If you want to build columns to hide them, you'd get bonus points. I'm not as excited about in-ceiling speakers (especially if none of the rest of your speakers are in the ceiling), but this is less objectionable to me for rears/surrounds than fronts.

·
Registered
30,356 Posts
I'll second cme's advice: placing the rear speakers on the rear wall would be my first choice too. With the rear speakers at least a few feet rearward of all the listeners, the surround-back channels will have the proper directionality from all seating locations.

To get good rear-vs-side separation in the surround field, make sure you place all 4 surround speakers properly: sides should be directly to the sides of the sweet spot rears should be spread well (at least 60 degrees) apart behind the listener. [see attached diagram]

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dford42
Where to mount my rears?
:eek:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
LOL! :eek:

WHERE does ONE mount their rears??? O my!

-Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.