AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am out of Vancouver BC, so I'm fairly far north (3 hours N of Seattle). I am playing around with the three antennas and am trying to find the best location on my vehicle for the little magnetic stick on antenna. So far I get LOTS of dropouts. XM customer service was pretty ignorant about my techy antenna questions.

I have a 2001 Toyota Rav 4 with one of those cheesy luggage rack thingies on top. So my questions:

If I mount my MyFi mounting kit so that the receiver has a decent view through the front windshield, if I plug in the secondary antenna, will the unit work as a diversity system and use both antennas?

Where exactly is the best place for the magnetic antenna? XM says that the metal luggage rack will interfere with reception. If both antennas are used, should I mount the magnetic one at the back of the car? How much metal exactly do I need under the magnetic antenna if it uses the car chassis as a ground plane.

(I just vacationed in Arizona, and took the Myfi unit with me. Even with just the internal antenna, I seemed to have much better reception there. Vancouver has lots of mountains and hilly areas, but the mountains are to the NOrth, there's usualyl a clear line of sight South and S-E.

(Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and found nothing specific or detailed that answer the above questions.)

Thanks!

Curt

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just had my MyFi professionally installed at Circuit City, and am extremely pleased with the results, primarily because the technician was very knowledgeable and helpful. He ran the antenna through the rubber fascia above my rear windshield for a true roof mounting just above the rear windshield.

He also told me that the wire on the XM antenna is hearty enough that you can loose-mount it on your roof through an open window, and then roll up the window without damaging the wire. If you don't mind having the antenna wire dangling around inside your car for a few days, that might allow you to experiment with different locations on the outside of your car until you find a sweet spot.

I went for a month with the antenna on my dash and just learned to live with a couple of seconds of dropout every few minutes. Since they mounted it on the roof, I've not had a single instance of dropout in metro Tulsa, Oklahoma.

They also directly hard-wired it into the car's FM antenna, which switches off the car antenna whenever the XM is turned on. The results have been fantastic.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have my antenna mounted on the dash and its never been a problem. I get some short dropouts but not very often. Even works in my garage.

I would expect that a roof top installation would eliminate dropouts for the most part but the aggravation of running cables, removing dash panels and possible drilling holes is not very attractive to me.

My 2c

·
Registered
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo
I would expect that a roof top installation would eliminate dropouts for the most part but the aggravation of running cables, removing dash panels and possible drilling holes is not very attractive to me.

My 2c
The process is probably less trouble than you think. I installed/routed the antenna wire for my Airware in less than 15 minutes in my GMC pickup.

The trick is deciding in advance where you will be mounting the unit and back tracking from there. Most modern vehicles have modular dash units, multiple door seals, and easily lifted panels where wire can be poked into, hidden behind, or channeled. No cutting or drilling required.

If you have experience running speaker wire at home, you can do this. BTW, I enthusiastically endorse the PIE adapters if your head unit will accept one.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Argeed..I have installed XM units in my car,wifes car,and friends cars...The antenna wire is so thin hiding it is not a problem....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.