AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am adding my surround speakers to my system, and wanted to know if putting my surrounds on my back wall behind the couch will work out ok. I can't put them on the sides of where I sit, there is no place. I figured behind is the best place.

The distance from where they will be placed in the wall to where I sit is going to be 11 Ft. Also, how high up should I put them ?

I appreciate any help and info.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A 11 ft. is getting kind of far, but you have to work with what you got, right. I would mount the speaker around 7 high and would use monopole/direct speakers with that type of distance between you and the the rears. Are in-ceiling speakers an option?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I agree with fastgt79, if it is for a 5.1 setup, 11 ft is too far. However, if it is for a 7.1 setup, 11ft for surround back speakers will be fine and if possible spread them about 13ft apart (or as far apart as possible) on the back wall.

Post a diagram or a picture of your room and may be someone can suggest other options.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs /forum/post/0

I agree with fastgt79, if it is for a 5.1 setup, 11 ft is too far. However, if it is for a 7.1 setup, 11ft for surround back speakers will be fine and if possible spread them about 13ft apart (or as far apart as possible) on the back wall.

Post a diagram or a picture of your room and may be someone can suggest other options.

Here is a very basic diagram of my family room.

It's a large room 17'wide by 26' long. As you can see on the top side there is large window that spans across the middle of the room. The ceiling is a vaulted ceiling and is 8' at both ends and slopes up to 12'.

Ok, so you can see the TV and the front spakers are on each side in the entertainment center and the subwoofer is on the floor next to the entertainment center. My center channel is currently sitting on top of the TV. I don't have a big screen yet, but that is the next purchase. I am going to get Samsung DLP. Any suggestions on size?? I was thinking 61".

Any way, I have a set of JBL in wall speakers that were in the house when I bought it, they seem to be pretty good for surrounds. I removed them from the closet location that use to be in this room, I remodeled it.

Mounting in the ceiling is an option, but I don't know how I could get the wiring up there. I have attic access, but not over this room. This room was an addition and there is no attic space. The rear wall where I have the surrounds showing in the pic was the place I was thinking, but please feel free to give suggestions. I'm still not sure how I can run the wire, but I think I can run it in the crawl space.

Oh, forgot to draw it, there is a patio door in between the surrounds.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
654 Posts
14 feet for a tv? Get a 70". I've got a JVC HD-70FH97 and i'm at about 11 feet and it's perfect. Don't get anything smaller and then regret it later.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod /forum/post/0

14 feet for a tv? Get a 70". I've got a JVC HD-70FH97 and i'm at about 11 feet and it's perfect. Don't get anything smaller and then regret it later.

Agreed. Get the largest screen size that fits your budget and your room (without doing another remodeling ...
). There are 2 other sizes in Samsung line-up - 67" and 71".

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phireman19 /forum/post/0

Here is a very basic diagram of my family room.

It's a large room 17'wide by 26' long. As you can see on the top side there is large window that spans across the middle of the room. The ceiling is a vaulted ceiling and is 8' at both ends and slopes up to 12'.

Ok, so you can see the TV and the front spakers are on each side in the entertainment center and the subwoofer is on the floor next to the entertainment center. My center channel is currently sitting on top of the TV. I don't have a big screen yet, but that is the next purchase. I am going to get Samsung DLP. Any suggestions on size?? I was thinking 61".

Any way, I have a set of JBL in wall speakers that were in the house when I bought it, they seem to be pretty good for surrounds. I removed them from the closet location that use to be in this room, I remodeled it.

Mounting in the ceiling is an option, but I don't know how I could get the wiring up there. I have attic access, but not over this room. This room was an addition and there is no attic space. The rear wall where I have the surrounds showing in the pic was the place I was thinking, but please feel free to give suggestions. I'm still not sure how I can run the wire, but I think I can run it in the crawl space.

Oh, forgot to draw it, there is a patio door in between the surrounds.

Thanks

Tim

Is mounting those speakers on side wall an option? They could be mounted on side wall (a few feet from where window ends) and aimed at the listening position.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs /forum/post/0

Is mounting those speakers on side wall an option? They could be mounted on side wall (a few feet from where window ends) and aimed at the listening position.

I will try to get the largest one I can that will fit in my ent. ctr.

As far as mounting on a side wall, like in your diagram, the one one the bottom won't work because that is the entrance into the family room. It's a large opening. Possibly up above the opening would work and the same on the other wall.. How do I aim them?? The speakers I have are a recessed flat mount speaker. I don't see any way to aim them.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phireman19 /forum/post/0

Possibly up above the opening would work and the same on the other wall.. How do I aim them?? The speakers I have are a recessed flat mount speaker. I don't see any way to aim them.

I don't know what speaker you have, but there are wall mounts, which can swivel (left/right) and also tilt (up/down), so you can aim them. Take a look at the some of the following (may not work with your speakers, but will give you some ideas about what to look for)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JsBSPRA...=speaker+mount
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JsBSPRA...=speaker+mount

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.