AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found really good placement for my floorstanding tower speakers (B&W cm10s) but i am having a hell of a time trying to fit my component stand into the setup where the cables will reach and it still fits aesthetically and functionally.

Does it matter how close a component stand is to the right or left main speakers? mine is currently off to the right of my front right speaker and only sits about 2 feet or less from side of the speaker - it is currently directly to the side as well, not front or back. Would it benefit me noise/distortion and sound quality wise to move the compnent stand say forward and maybe angled in towards the MLP so it is not so close to the speakers?

I have an A21 and JC-2 from parasound, with a marantz ud7007 blu ray player and benchmark dac2dx (might return this actually) all in the rack. I also recently purchased the halo integrated amplifier from parasound and that is on my rack for now but will ultimately probably be moved to a second set up (might be in same room or may not be) with some KEF ls50s that i just got as well. I have two svs sb2000 subs and my surrounds are completed with CMC2, cm5 from B&W.

I have purchased some materials to build a DIY amp stand for the A21 in order to make room and the rack but that is just creating more of a space issue as i dont want my speaker cables to be longer than like 12-15ft max.

thoughts on best placement? does it effect sound in a significant way to have components like a power amp close to a speaker or to the side as opposed to in front and out to the side or behind and out to the side? my wall is 17 feet but limited by a door on the front left side.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I prefer having my LCRs out from the end wall.
That also provides the space for the component stand, behind/between my tv and right speaker. If you can do that, your stand will be closer to both speakers, instead of just one.

A compact stand build is to buy all thread, tempered glass shelves, associated nuts/washers. Which is what I built.
The 1/4" shelves provide an additional 2.5" of vertical useable space, for a five shelf unit, 3 ft tall, compared to using 3/4" shelving.

Here are a couple of pics of it all.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Why are you worried about speaker cables longer than 15'? Just get bigger cables and you'll be fine. You can go much further than that. Put the cabinet where you want it and run longer wires.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are you worried about speaker cables longer than 15'? Just get bigger cables and you'll be fine. You can go much further than that. Put the cabinet where you want it and run longer wires.
cause they are messy...lot of cables and lots of equipment. not just home audio but power amp for my fender lonestar, computer and monitor plus more

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Op

I am in the market for a component stand! I think I found one too that has a lift up top for a turntable. I definitely need something for my vinyls and laserdisc player...I ran out of room in the tv cabinet :)

you can always get longer cables...and nice job on your component rack! I am trying not to spend more than $30 on mine, so I am looking at thrift shops and online.

You can just move it around and see how it sounds, i found the height of speaker makes a difference!

the problem I'm having is blocking view of tv for someone against wall, i have a blasted corner setup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts