AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony kp-51ws500 rptv arrived today and in all the hype about the tv i am now thinking what im going to do with my center channel speaker. It definately wont sit on top of the tv. Probably a stupid question but where do people mount the center channels with a rptv??

mike

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I put mine on two bookshelf speaker stands and plopped it in front of the RPTV.....just my 2 cents.

Yosh70

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatBop
But wouldn't that mean that the CC will be infront of the front pairs?
not if setup correctly. see attachment.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Another vote for in front, on the floor. With some rptvs (like the Hitachi) the space on top is too narrow (front/back) to support a heavy center speaker, such as a Martin Logan. You wouldn't want a situation like that anyway, with a kid in the house. Klunk.

However, with a floor speaker of any kind, you also have secondary worries like the kid spiking the speaker with a pencil.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatBop
But wouldn't that mean that the CC will be infront of the front pairs?
Mine is just ahead of the two mains and I actually emailed Paradigm whether or not I should bring the mains (Studio 60's) forward in-line with the CC... they replied it was not necessary if I set it up properly in the receiver (which I did) and was not having any transition/dialog issues.(which I am not)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yosh70
Mine is just ahead of the two mains and I actually emailed Paradigm whether or not I should bring the mains (Studio 60's) forward in-line with the CC... they replied it was not necessary if I set it up properly in the receiver (which I did) and was not having any transition/dialog issues.(which I am not)
it may not be necessary according to Paradigm, but having less between your mains is definitely a plus for imaging no matter what brand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bioforce
Since I have rather tall mains (VMPS RM40s) I like mine on top shooting down.

nice speaks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't received my CC yet (in the mail, Polk CSi40) but I found out it weighs 25 lbs. and there is no way that sucker will sit on top of my JVC RPTV. I built a 2' x 2' shelf that protrudes from the wall behind the TV. It lines up with the front of the TV and sits about a 1/2" inch above it. I just went to Lowes and bought 2' x 2' 3/4" thick oak and a couple of heavy duty brackets. $18 bucks!

Bill

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I am just setting up a 50" plasma display and had the CC below the display and it is real obvious during playback that the sound is not from the screen.

My primary CC box is an Infinity and is rather large to mount over the display, so I added a smaller second CC over the display and adjusted the audio balance to get the "illusion" the audio is from the screen.

Now it seems to work, but it is beginning to look like "Speaker City". Has anyone tried this method but with much smaller speakers at one CC location and the larger at the other position, and still get a balanced dialog "illusion"??

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
that's interesting that it's obvious to you that the center image is not sounding like it's being projected from the center of the display. i have a 47" rptv and sitting approx. 8 ft away, with CC on the floor slightly tilted upwards, the CC sounds like it's being projected from the center, even from the other two positions on the sofa. your two CC setup sounds interesting, hopefully someone's had success with it and will respond. gl.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Would the placement of a center channel speaker directly on top of a CRT rear projector in any way affect the CRT alignment due to any vibrations shaking the set?

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
The primary CC unit is rather large and could be mounted to the wall (this is a flat screen display, about 5" from the wall) but it would still be obvious that the sound is coming from above the display. That becomes obvious when trying to adjust the balance between the upper and lower CC.

John

I don't have the lower CC with me, but I would think about 26"L x 13"H x 14"D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would never place my 25 lbs. CC on top of my TV. The top frame is plastic and not deep enough to hold the CC safely. Here is a pic of my $18 solution:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.