AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased 12 2' x 4' rigid fiberglass panels to use for acoustical treatment in my new HT. 6 of the panels will be used to cover most of the screen wall as many of you recommend (although I know others don't go for this!). I'm not sure what to do on the remaining 3 walls and ceiling. Specifically, if the front wall is dead, is it still important to treat the back wall or is that overkill? And on the side walls, should the panels be directly across from each other or staggered so that sound can't echo back and forth? I'll have 6 panels remaining and could buy more if needed. I have not done any kind of computer modeling so don't know what frequencies might be a problem for me.

My room info:

My room is 8'2" wide (yes - very narrow), 16'10" long, with 7'6" ceilings. I used drywall on all walls and ceiling. The floor is concrete and will be carpeted. There are two exposed ducts that run the length of the ceiling near each side wall. I covered these ducts with ductwrap - basically 1 1/2" thick fiberglass with silver paper wrapping. It's not the ideal solution, but I didn't want to lower the ceiling and mess with soffits. With the entire ceiling painted black, it actually doesn't look too bad.

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Lot of places to think about. Various sites and post on this as I recall.

a) See realtraps pictures http://www.realtraps.com/placing_mt.htm for consideration on rear_corners / ceiling_wall

b) First reflections - use the old mirror trick. Sit in your seats have someone hold a mirror on the wall at various places to where you can see the reflection of the front speaker. That is a location where you want to stop the first reflection.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. The back two corners just won't allow for bass traps, although I might be able to do a corner trap where the side walls meet the back wall and ceiling. For the front corners, could I use my existing 1" fiberglass panels to construct a corner bass trap? My thought was to cut them into 12" or 18" strips, maybe using 2 layers to create a 2" thickness, then straddle the corners with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.