Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

I'm planning to build my room and i have a question about where to put my surround speakers.

I have drown a little plan on my site:

http://www.ifrance.com/aurelienhomec...nsallecine.swf

The speakers are french hifi speakers named cabasse and are all identical.

they are columns and my problem is to know if the sound will be good in that configuration.

I'll have 2 sitting rows and the last one is stucked to the rear wall.So regarding the speaker size it's impossible to place them on the back ...Where should i place them on the side(hight?distance from the wall?)

On the plan the ??? would be the distance, .

Please note that distances are in centimeters/meters

All help,warmly welcome :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
It is my understanding that you can optimize only one position in the home theater: the sweet spot.

I'm almost in the same situation where I'm planning to have 3 rows of seating at 3 differents heights. This is making the overall setup a little more difficult but I took the party to optimize the sound for the front row and the middle seat. In other words: MY seat! :)

For your case, I would consider the number of people I'm seating on average and where they are most likely to seat and optimize for the average of this position.

One thing you didn't mention is the type of speaker you are using. Are they dipolar or "monopolar"?

I'm not sure but the dipolar might give you a little more flexibility in the placement of the surround. Can someone on the forum confirm or deny that point?

Bonne chance! ;-)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well the "Sweet Spot" argument could be debated by many experts. But great sound can be obtained over a wide area with proper gear, placement of seating and speakers as well as acoustical treatments.

MY PREFERENCES.

Front left and right mains toed in facing the center of the room first or second row.

Front center speaker angled up or down depending on low or high placement.

Surrounds

If we are talking movies:

In a 5.1 system I would use Dipoles even with the rear most row mounted on the side walls 2 meters off the floor. Try to keep the speakers from being too close to the rear wall, even if only 1/2 a meter from the rear wall.

In a 6.1 or THX Ultra system the side dipole surrounds stay virtually the same but one or two direct radiating speakers will be mounted on the rear wall, again about 2 meters off the floor, centered on the rear wall.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply..:)

In fact my speakers are all identical monopolar hi fi speakers..

I can't change them as they are expensive(changing would cost too much) ...

I'm thinking of building schroeders diffraction panels on the last quarter wall of the room(sides and back) to help "surrounding"...

Could it really help?

For the seatings, i'll have4/5 seats on the last row and 3/4 on the first row

I've drown my plan respecting the scales and as you can see the last row will be about 137 cm back from the first row...and i want everybody to feel surrounds at its best...

If you have suggestions on where it would be best placed or even about my plan they're warmly welcome as just the room and insulation are build... I just can't change my speakers choice and the entrance door place;)) Maybe i should change orientation of the projection or i don't know what.... really any advice welcome ! :)

Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.