AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a problem with my room. I have a 50inch plasma hanging on the wall, slightly in the corner. I use to have floor standing speakers, however my son knocked them over. I was going to use some small sats for l/r however the right side of the tv there is a door way so i cannot fit them there.

My options as i see it:

1. Put l/r above tv. not sure how this will sound since the will be place at the corners of the top of the set.

2. in ceiling speakers. Again not sure how this is going to sound.

3. Put them below the set, same as #1 just below it.

I cannot hang them from the ceiling so that is out. What can i do????

·
Registered
16,963 Posts
What is the height of the TV's top and bottom edge? Can you move it higher or lower?

Speaker placement is often about compromise. You do what you can. So, given the choices you list, either above or below, whichever is closest to ear-level, would work.

Generally, to get in-ceilings that sound as good as traditional speakers, requires more $$$$. There ARE good in-ceilings/in-walls. However, they require a considerable of amount of work, relative to traditional speakers, to wire them/install them/etc..

Something like THIS may be suitable. It IS wall-mountable. I've heard it and it is pretty impressive considering what it is.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot really move it higher or lower. top of the tv is about 5 feet off the ground. Wiring for ceiling would not really be that big of a deal. I just wonder if they would sound good.

One thing i could do is go real small for l/r. like a 3 inch driver. Again not sure how that is going to sound.

If you had to choose between ceiling, top of tv or bottom, which would you pick?

·
Registered
30,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98007 /forum/post/0

One thing i could do is go real small for l/r. like a 3 inch driver. Again not sure how that is going to sound.

I can guess. It won't be good. In addition to lacking bass and power, adding a sub-woofer to it will require the sub to be crossed-over too high to avoid being localized.

·
Registered
16,963 Posts

Quote:

well i do have 2 subs for the room, though my concern is that my center is 2 6 1/2 drivers so the whole stage would be off, atleast that is my guess.

Where is your center located?

·
Registered
30,817 Posts

Quote:

well i do have 2 subs for the room, though my concern is that my center is 2 6 1/2 drivers so the whole stage would be off, atleast that is my guess.

Two subs will be localizable unless they are closely positioned under or adjacent to the L/R minis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.