Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am considering the following receivers:

Yamaha RX-C3800 ($1600)

Denon AVR-3808CI ($1600)

Onkyo TX-SR805 ($1000)

The speakers are B&W. Yesterday I tried infinity and monitor audio and I did not like the sound.

The onkyo is 600 cheaper than the other two. Will I really notice that much difference between the receivers?? Or should I go ahead and get the onkyo and put $600 more worth of speakers?

Thank you

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
speakers are usually the one piece in your system that sound great to you

will be the last to be replaced over the long run. electronics on the other hand have

a shelf life and technology is constantly evolving.so go listen to as many as you

can and buy the rest to match it as you go.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I agree - buy the best speakers you can afford and plan to upgrade/replace electronics within your budget as needed, especially considering that features and formats are constantly changing anyway. If you do put a lot of money into high quality speakers you may want to help protect them from damage by also buying a good separate amp that is less likely to go into clipping. A high quality power amp will last you years, and very good used ones can be purchased at Audiogon or elsewhere. Then you are free to use a good receiver with preouts that has the features you want as a pre/pro without worrying about the receiver's amps being inadequate, and you also have the option of moving on to a separate audio processor/preamp if you have the itch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The biggest improvement I've ever had in a system was when I upgraded my speakers.

2-way vs. 3-way

I've read discussions where it was said for the same money a 2-way may be better because better quality parts will be used. ie. a $1k 2-way bookshelf vs. a $1k 3-way floorstander. The $1k for the 3-way floor is spread on costs for the larger cabinet and additional midrange and woofers and a more complicated crossover. The 2-way is simpler in design so the $1k is most likely spent on better parts and design. I'm not so sure I agree on this point since alot of manufacturers use the same drivers in different cabinets but it could be the case. Personally I've always liked the sound of 3-way better than a 2-way......that is....a well designed 3-way.

Multiple woofers vs. 1 larger woofer

I like multiple woofers since they tend to sound more detailed aka tighter. Multiple woofers can move just as much air as a single larger woofer but since they are smaller the drivers can move/respond faster and this tends to result in more detailed bass. I thought this was all b.s. when I was told it but when I listened to a pair that had multiple smaller woofers, it found it was more refined, at least to my ears. Everyone's opinion is different so you need to listen and find out for yourself.

I haven't experimented enough with the following stuff but I did like my Revel F50a's which had a 3rd or 4th order Butterworth crossover.

Crossover frequencies

tweeter

midrange

Type and order of the crossover

Linkwitz, Butterworth, 2nd or 3rd order, etc.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacahuma /forum/post/12904660

Hello,

I am considering the following receivers:

Yamaha RX-C3800 ($1600)

Denon AVR-3808CI ($1600)

Onkyo TX-SR805 ($1000)

The speakers are B&W. Yesterday I tried infinity and monitor audio and I did not like the sound.

The onkyo is 600 cheaper than the other two. Will I really notice that much difference between the receivers?? Or should I go ahead and get the onkyo and put $600 more worth of speakers?

Thank you

While I agree that speakers should take up the lion's share of your audio budget I think the single biggest factor in producing good sound is the room speaker interaction. Acoustic treatment, speaker placement and room EQ. (Some time in the "Audio Set Up and Theory" forum would be well worth the trip.)

I don't know about the Onkyo and what level of Audyssey room EQ it has but I do know the Denon has the Audyssey MultEQ XT in it, and that trumps the YPAO in the Yamaha IMO. Plus the Denon is also Audyssey "Pro" capable which is a room EQ that an installer came come calibrate for you to get the maximum benefit. On that basis the Denon IMO is the best value of the three.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You would probably be happy with any of those receivers. My preference would be the Yamaha because I've had their receivers and was happy with them. But you should determine which speakers you want first whether they be 50% or 90% of your total budget, then determine what receiver that has the necessary power and features you want.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You might want to consider the Marantz sr8002. It seems to fall in your price range and offers superiour sound quality to the others.

·
Banned
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelon /forum/post/12908080

You might want to consider the Marantz sr8002. It seems to fall in your price range and offers superiour sound quality to the others.

"Superiour sound quality" based on what? I don't doubt that the Marantz sounds good, but to say it sounds better than all 3 of the receivers the OP mentioned means nothing. You might as well say something like "blue is the best color".

·
Registered
654 Posts
I didn't notice a significant difference in sound between those three receivers when I auditioned them. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Pick the one with the features that are important to you. I picked up the 805 when it was on sale, and I'm very happy with it. It also has the beefiest amp section of the three should you want to run speakers that benefit from a high current amp.

Speakers will play the biggest role in SQ IMHO. I would allocate more of your budget towards speakers instead of a receiver.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I can't add much except to say get the best speakers you can afford. I am using the Denon 3808 as a pre-pro while waiting for something else, and I think it sounds very good. I have not heard the other two.

Gene

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you are planning on buying B&W speakers, you will do yourself a real favor by reading through the B&W Owners Thread in the Speaker Forum here and on other sites.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti /forum/post/12908141

Speakers will play the biggest role in SQ IMHO.
Second biggest role. The biggest is the room and how the speakers interact in there.

A set of $2000 speakers in a bad room might not sound as good as a $500 speakers in a properly set up and treated room.

If you doubt me, play any speaker in an empty room and see how it sounds.

This is also why I put the Denon on the top of that list, it likely has the best available Room EQ of the bunch. Without EQ they probably all sound identical.

·
Registered
654 Posts
OK smartypants

Maybe I should have clarified that speakers make a bigger difference in SQ than a receiver IMHO. That is what the OP was asking, right?

The Onkyo has MultiEQ XT certification as well.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti /forum/post/12910445

OK smartypants

Maybe I should have clarified that speakers make a bigger difference in SQ than a receiver IMHO. That is what the OP was asking, right?

The Onkyo has MultiEQ XT certification as well.

OOOOhh I looove it when I'm right!!!

Absolutely. But the room is the most often ignored and yet it is the most important place to start.

The Onkyo isn't Audyssey "Pro" capable though, but the 3808 is. Still it might be worth it to go with the Onkyo and spend the extra on room treatments and speakers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
rnrgagne makes a great point. Room acoustics play a huge role.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For those of us that are truly kings of our castle, room acoustics is the first place to start. For the rest of us, like myself, you gotta just be happy with whatever space we're allowed to play with our toys in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts