AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to check out the 60XBR800 and the HLN/M617, but I can't find any stores who have them. Typically the 50 inch models are the ones they have on display. I really want to see these sets before making a buying decision. Anyone know of any dealers in the eastern PA area that carries them? For anyone who has seen them, is the PQ on the 50" versions comparable on the 60" versions? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can only speak to the PQ comparison between the Samsung units. I bought a new internals HLM507 and watched it for a week before moving up to the HLN61. The PQ was the same or so close I can not tell the difference. I sit anywhere from 8-15 feet away and tend to lay on the floor so my angle of view is not ideal. Given this I can tell you the DLP is outstanding.

I have heard good things about the GWII but did not pursue this due to concerns about stuck pixels. It seemed that you had to accept a certain number of these right out of the box. I am probably wrong but it seemed to be a rash of these posts.

Ad far as the move from 50-60. It is a huge difference in size and really makes a difference if you gave the space.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, in side by side comparisons I tend to like the Samsung better too, and I can't believe I'm saying that as I've always owned Sony XBR's.

I went to look at the HLN5065 at Best Buy yesterday, specifically to see if I could see the rainbows that I keep hearing about here, I had never noticed them before. I finally did see them, but only in certain scenes like where there was a bright, whitish line or object on the screen and I was deliberately moving my eyes across the screen as fast as I could. Most of the time I couldn't see them even while trying my hardest. This is definitely not a deal breaker for me. I may take the plunge and order the 617 from Tweeter when I can be assured that I'll get the N series.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Egan,

If you don't find anything closer, the Circuit City in Paramus NJ has the 60" GW II on display. Should be less than an hour from the Delaware Water Gap crossing on i80.

FWIW - Comparing pictures in a few stores between the Grand Wega and the HLM/HLN (usually the 43" or 50" models), the Samsungs have a better picture, in my uneducated opinion. Specifically, the blacks definitely seemed to be darker on the Samsungs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.