AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to see the RS1/HD1 in person, especially somewhere where they also have the lower priced Pearl and LCDs (Panasonic and Epson) set up as well--so, any place in the Boston, NYC, or Washington DC areas?

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you are really, seriously considering the RS1, don't even bother seeing the others. If you are still trying to convince yourself that you will be happy with a lesser cost alternative than go with an LCD. I've been down this road at least 4 times and lcd just doesn't get it, you can convince yourself that it does, but it doesn't.

I have a Z5 now had a Panasonic Ae1000 for a week, have had dlp and other lcos. Lcos wins, without question, except ansi, but is the most comfortable-watchable.

Can't wait till the RS2 or 1 is readily available.

LCD will just be a stop for you, trust me.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seeing is believing...I will probably get the RS1, but would certainly prefer seeing it in person first, including some comparisons to 1080p projectors for a few thousand less.

So, I would think the most densely populated region of the country--the northeast--would be a place for some comparison setups.

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,314 Posts
Pedro=

I fully understand what you are getting at. Dropping $6200 sight unseen is a bit much. The litany on AVS Forum is "Do not let someone else decide for you what you like. See it and decide for yourself." Sooo...JVC has advertised full-page for about two months now in virtually every video mag. Where can someone "eyeball" this unit IN THE WASHINGTON D.C. / BALTIMORE, MD. AREA ?

Loco !

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It is highly unlikely you'll be able to see the Panasonic and Epson units in a home theater retail setting - especially the type of store carrying the RS1. These units cary no markup making them very unattractive to dealers.

Sony Pearl's are showing in many Best Buy/Magnolia's - the couple I have seen have been set-up very poorly.

That said, there was a store that I visited several years ago in Northern Virginia based off recommendations by some members here. It was a a/v group that did mostly schools, conference rooms, etc - but did carry home theater stuff and allowed appointments for demo's...unfortunately I have no idea what the name was- this was several years ago. I took a look on the Panasonic website searching for professional products and nothing rung a bell - might be worth throwing a post up on the under 3500 forum.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga /forum/post/0

It is highly unlikely you'll be able to see the Panasonic and Epson units in a home theater retail setting - especially the type of store carrying the RS1. These units cary no markup making them very unattractive to dealers.

Very true. If a dealer is going to have a projector on display (which takes up a lot of valuable floor space), it's not going to be one that he can't make more than 3% on. As far as the RS1/HD1 is concerned, I believe Robert at Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY has an HD1 on display.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can call Home Entertainment Expo in Wayland, MA 508 358-0077. They had Sanyo, Panasonic and a few others set up in rooms when I bought my Z4 last year. Not sure all of the brands they carry. Also, Adtech Systems in Sudbury which is just down the road from Home Ent. 978 261-1077. They list Epson, JVC, Mits on their product page. Not sure what they have set up. If you go to either of these places, let me know what they currently have set up. Thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmf /forum/post/0

You can call Home Entertainment Expo in Wayland, MA 508 358-0077. They had Sanyo, Panasonic and a few others set up in rooms when I bought my Z4 last year. Not sure all of the brands they carry. Also, Adtech Systems in Sudbury which is just down the road from Home Ent. 978 261-1077. They list Epson, JVC, Mits on their product page. Not sure what they have set up. If you go to either of these places, let me know what they currently have set up. Thanks

Home Entertainment Expo and Adtech Systems are the same company. One owns the other. I spoke with them maybe four weeks ago and they told me they had moved to a new showroom and had not set anything up for demo yet. They did offer to set up the RS1 and the Epson for me when they got them in. I haven't heard back from them and didn't call again because I bought a Sharp 12K.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga /forum/post/0

I thought the reason the Epson was so expensive in the U.S. (relative to the prices charged overseas) was because the Epson was marked up to allow dealers to get a good amount of money from sale of the Epson? And, I thought that no discounting was allowed for the Epson. Or am I mistaken? And if so, why is the Epson priced so much cheaper overseas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.