AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to theaters/ and audio. My wife and I purchased our first house last year. Like so many others, we have a nice sized unfinished basement, that is just begging me to finish, and put in a theater. I have been lurking this forum, as well as others for the past few months. I think I have made my self more confused and over whelmed. I want to do a small/ medium sized theater with two rows of seating. I want it to double as a place where we can watch movies, sports, and gaming. I have no clue where to start, and like I just said feel more confused after reading hundreds if not thousands of pages of threads on here. Any advice would be more than helpfull.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
The first steps are already behind you. Two rows of seats, usually 3 in each, give or take. That's a key decision. Now think about adding the room around them. 2-3-4 feet on each side and rear as clearance, for example. That translate to a width of 12-15' at minimum. The length should be say 20' for round numbers. Does a rectangle like that fit into your space?

Then consider a separate equipment room, and whether you want a lot or a little sound isolation to the rest of the house. If yes, that adds to the wall thickness and lowers ceiling height. If you have to dodge ductwork, that has to be factored in.

Doors, windows, all need consideration. HVAC, too.

There are gobs of basement theater builds here. Look them over for great ideas and a sense of the scope. Are you planning a DIY? There are folks who can prepare exquisite plans, or we can offer more casual guidance.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You have to figure out what you want, your budget, how much work you will do yourself, your sound proofing goals, PJ or not, etc. Pick a theater on here that you would like to emulate. Then you can make a plan to execute it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler
The first steps are already behind you. Two rows of seats, usually 3 in each, give or take. That's a key decision. Now think about adding the room around them. 2-3-4 feet on each side and rear as clearance, for example. That translate to a width of 12-15' at minimum. The length should be say 20' for round numbers. Does a rectangle like that fit into your space?

Then consider a separate equipment room, and whether you want a lot or a little sound isolation to the rest of the house. If yes, that adds to the wall thickness and lowers ceiling height. If you have to dodge ductwork, that has to be factored in.

Doors, windows, all need consideration. HVAC, too.

There are gobs of basement theater builds here. Look them over for great ideas and a sense of the scope. Are you planning a DIY? There are folks who can prepare exquisite plans, or we can offer more casual guidance.
Yes, I am planning do DIY. I am a decent carpenter, plus my family is in the trades so they will be able to lend a helping hand...ie Electrician.

Couple of questions.

Ok my basement will def support what your are saying. I want two rows of three seats...obviously with one riser. Behind the last row, I want to put in a bar top, so that we can watch some sports, and tv...

I believe I have plenty of room on each side, to support the 2-3ft needed.

I have been looking through alot of the build threads. I noticed alot of people are hanging drywall before running the electrical. Why? Wouldn't it be easier to run conduit through the frame work then drywall afterwards?

I have no idea what route to take for speakers. I don't want to spend thousands and thousand of dollars on sound. I want decent sound...but I dont need to have earth shattering base...I know I don't want to skimp out on the projector. I want to be able to watch t.v (sports), with some lights on. Is that even possible? I know that the color black will suffer some...will I have to spend upwards of $3k on a projector high output lumens to achieve that?

Viewing ratio...I am completely lost with different view formats...

Throw ratio...is the distance between the screen and projector?

Do I build my room, then buy the projector, seats, and sound system..

I want to have a decent amount of sound isolation..So I was thinking of doing double drywall. I have seen mixed reviews of the "Green Glue". Some say its great, others say waste of money and not necessary.

As far as speaker placement..is there a rule of thumb? I want to a do a false wall for my screen wall, with a tiny stage built in. Do the speakers get mounted inside the framing of the stage and wall, or do I have either fastened to the dry wall, or sitting on the floor?

I know I asked alot of questions. Any guidance will be more than helpfull.

Tonight I will post some pictures of my basement, and some of the dimensions.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedin
I noticed a lot of people are hanging drywall before running the electrical. Why?

I have seen mixed reviews of the "Green Glue". Some say its great, others say waste of money and not necessary.
I suspect the same idiots that hung the drywall first also said that Green Glue was a waste of money. Neither is the general consensus of the experienced theater builders on this forum.

On Green Glue, yes, it can be a waste of money if you don't look at the overall soundproofing strategy and make sure you don't have any week design issues. This includes framing isolation (using RSIC 04 clips), use of resilient mounts for drywall on ceiling joists, Addressing all holes cut in the drywall for electrical boxes, lighting and HVAC, isolating the HVAC from the rest of the house, Installing a beefy well sealed door, and other miscellaneous items such as building stages, risers and soffits inside an already drywalled room.

The only legitimate reason for running electrical after the drywall is up is if it will be concealed in soffits and columns etc, and by doing it after the fact you can minimize the number of holes in the drywall shell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.