AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
List is well above $5k, so, it belongs here.

The real divider..is it REAL HT, or is just Pretend HT, via Business PJ?.

In this case it is dedicated HT in nature.

Perhaps, in the future, once the 'air' of each forum is established, the intergration levels can be altered. A little time with the new rules is required first. Excessive change/time, is recipe for dissent..no matter the purpose, origin, or direction. One step at a time.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
List is well above $5k, so, it belongs here.

The real divider..is it REAL HT, or is just Pretend HT, via Business PJ?.

In this case it is dedicated HT in nature.

Perhaps, in the future, once the 'air' of each forum is established, the intergration levels can be altered. A little time with the new rules is required first. Excessive change/time, is recipe for dissent..no matter the purpose, origin, or direction. One step at a time.
I'm not sure I understand the delineation stated in those terms. The over/under $5000US MSRP is clear and unambiguous. I also understand "HT PJ" vs "Business PJ".

Sorry if I'm being obtuse (and perhaps unobjective) about the "real HT" vs "Pretend HT". I don't understand why an AE100 is not "REAL HT" when it's stated market & function with it's 16:9 AR panel is very much HT... albeit "budget HT".

Or what about the LS110, with built in Faroudja and 16:9 and a HT target market but a MSRP of $4999. Is that "real HT" or "pretend HT"?

Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just not sure where the line between "real" and "pretend" is? Is the line at a certain contrast level? Lumen level? Aspect Ratio? Or is it purely at a certain price tag?

- JP

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Somehow you missed the point.

It has to be given time to settle first. Alan and those involved have a good, solid grasp of the PJ market. They also have a good solid background in making valid decisions about their forum. So, as I said....give it time. So, it is clear that clarity will NOT be there at first. It actually has to evolve.

One thing is patently obvious: A decision had to be made. And it was....

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
Somehow you missed the point.

It has to be given time to settle first. Alan and those involved have a good, solid grasp of the PJ market. They also have a good solid background in making valid decisions about their forum. So, as I said....give it time. So, it is clear that clarity will NOT be there at first. It actually has to evolve.

One thing is patently obvious: A decision had to be made. And it was....
I actually haven't missed the point. I agree that the split is a good thing.

And I am fine with a splitting by price tag... it's unambigous. Splits could be done by DLP vs. LCD/LCOS or 16:9 vs 4:3 or XGA or any number of categories. All of the above splits are fairly unambiguous and fine by me.

I just did not understand the distinction that you presented of "real" vs "pretend". I was just attempting to understand the distinction in a more concrete manner.

- JP

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Alan:

First off thanks for providing this forum for us all....I would probably not have a projector right now if it were not for avsforum.

All joking aside (it was fun at first playing with the $5000 +- MSRP), but where do you make the distinction that the AE100 is a presentation projector? If you look at Panasonic Canada's sites listing for the PT-AE100 Panasonic Canada - AE100 , they specifically call it a Home Cinema Projector.

Now if you meant using the criteria of what many movie channels use i.e: "Now Our Feature Prestentation" :) I agree with you, but to not call the AE100 a HT projector is begging for people to ask why!. I agree this is your site and you can do with it as you please, and if you really are just trying to get the AE100 posts out of the main forum so be it. I however ask that you please don't use your power in these forums to classify the AE100 into a non-HT projector, it does not bode well when you try to cover up what is actually happening.

Lastly don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you wanting to get the AE100 posts out of there (it also makes it easier to find them :) ) and they have been overwhelming but don't use false reasoning for what you are doing.

Anyway thanks for everything and understand that I classify this post as "constructive" discussion/views and hope you do as well.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
The Panasonic AE100 is clearly a presentation projector.
I don't understand the distinction. Why is this?

I also don't care where the posts go... I would really like to understand the reasons why it qualifies as "presentation projector."

Resolution is abysmal on the unit in a clearly non-Personal computer Aspect ratio. An 856x480 desktop is virtually useless, as is the 640x480. You can't use it for presentation purposes with such low res.

I would like to know the criteria, as to why it is clearly such.

- JP

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Whoa...a 16:9 projector is "clearly" a presentation projector?

Must be for all those 16:9 Flash/Powerpoint presentations I've been creating lately.

I think I'd certainly agree it's clearly an entry level projector or clearly a budget projector and belongs in the other forum but I dunno if I buy presentation projector.

Nigel

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Alan -- Please elaborate on the ae100 as a presentation projector. The fact that the PJ is 16:9 immediately makes it a HT only PJ.

This whole price cut-off thing is too vague.

Perhaps a brand split would be better. For example brands that one finds in home theater magazines and the brands that AVS represents in one group and traditional business brands in another.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS
Perhaps a brand split would be better. For example brands that one finds in home theater magazines and the brands that AVS represents in one group and traditional business brands in another.
Brand splits doesn't work because there are many "presentation projectors" that are used for HT (Sanyo XP21) and presentation companies that are used for HT (Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony makes both). There are very few HT exclusive brands like Marantz, Runco and Dreamvision.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
I am sorry, but this is incorrect. According to Matsushita, the AE100 is specifically marketed by Panasonic as a home theatre projector. It is NOT marketed by Panasonic as a business presentation projector.

The AE100 was created to crack the growing HT market created by the rapid expansion of DVD players and HT sound systems. This is why it is 16:9, has component inputs and was designed to fit into a home's decor with its silver finish. Panasonic feels that the HT market is now large enough for its own dedicated products and the AE100 is their attempt to capture the entry level HT market.

I was also getting sick of the daily shipping and duty posts (search function-what's that :( ) and understand your reasons for splitting the forum, but please, let's not spread mis-information. Panasonic's advertising agency would not be happy with you. :D

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
According to the Optoma web site, the H55 is a "Professional Home Theater projector". Whatever that means.

Regards.

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,634 Posts
OK, Fine. But a Yugo has a speedometer that tops out at 100mph. Does anyone want to guess whether you could actually reach 100mph in a Yugo?

Just because a manufacturer slaps a "Perfect for Home Theater" label on a product, does not tell us much. Not to insult anyone, but this forum section's title is pretty self-explanatory. How about taking this thread to the correct section.

Respectfully,

John G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.