AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of my setup... I just don,t know where I should put my center channel...

- Onkyo TR-SX608

- JBL ES20 (front, surround and rear)

- Polk audio Subwoofer

Here are the option I am concidering for my center speaker

- Phantom center speaker (no center speaker at all)

- Put the JBL ES25C above the screen (matching the ES20)

- Buy a smaller center speaker like the Athena WS-60 and put it below the screen(not matching the ES20)

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
FWIWFM, it looks a little wide for a good phantom center image, but it's easy and free so I'd try that first. The few setups I have heard with a high (ceiling) center I have not really liked. It seems to place the dialogue out of (above) the picture to me, but of course others (including you) might not feel that way. I much prefer it below the screen, or at the bottom. I would mock up a box or some paper and see how much of the bottom of the picture is blocked (if any) if you set the JBL center on the top of your console. Is the bottom of the console storage? Would it be too painful to put the center on a low stand (platform, box, bricks, whatever) right in front of the console and move it when you need to access the lower center sections?

HTH - Don

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Don... the lower stand could be a good idea... yes the bottom part of the console is storage but I don,t use it very often.

I'll try the phantom center tonight and see... worst case I'll wait couple of months and change the hole front Left, right and center to the Athena WS series... will see!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Why not try a soundbar ? The Visio VSB 200 can be had for less than $100 at Walmart or Costco, and it is not bad. Just be sure that your connections are compatible. Other soundbars at higher prices are also available.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal-dog /forum/post/19645849

Get a fixed frame screen instead of retractable to create some space between the bottom of the screen and the stand. Put center on top of the stand.

this is exactly what I would do.

edit- especially with that screen already appearing to have issues staying flat.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
It looks to me like the screen is not 16:9 but closer to 4:3... Maybe the bottom is not used much anyway, thus you could raise (retract) it just a little without losing any (HD) frame and have room for the center on the console? - Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.